Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I ate it in Vietnam and really enjoyed it! Some of the dishes almost hid the color and taste of the meat but many places grilled it and the buyer could spice it to suit themselves.

I suspect if a person had enough of a working stock load, a goodly bit of profit could be made by sales to Asian markets.

That would be nice. Problem is every time I advertised fibros, the Asian buyers would all be from the city, about 2-3 hours away. They get very excited and ask about getting more but it is not always so fun trying to find a time/location good for all parties.

That would be nice. Problem is every time I advertised fibros, the Asian buyers would all be from the city, about 2-3 hours away. They get very excited and ask about getting more but it is not always so fun trying to find a time/location good for all parties.

Yep...it would almost have be run like a business...not part of an extended hobby, with lots of stock and fixed delivery days.

I thought I would miss the 'egg production' portion of our 'hobby' but I really do not and I'm too old to even consider such an venture now...lol

We are planning on getting some of those mangalista porkers as an addition to our domestic menagerie....another idea that will cost money because no one around here will be willing to pay what it would cost, even to break even. If we get them, Jason wants to use a boar over a landrace sow and then breed the offspring sows back to their sire.

Idle hands...
lau.gif
No, that's not really the case. We all seem to have our hands full but still finding room and time for other 'projects'.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I am working towards mostly or all fibro's in my flock, but I don't have the space or set up to section off specific breeding birds, and have sooooo many non chicken irons in the fire. I could speed it up by only keeping the fibro birds, but my fibro line is silkie based I believe (several gens back before I got them) so tend to be on the smaller size. So for now mixing w/ non fibro in my flock for size. I know people are put off by the meat, but if they tried it they would be pleasantly surprised. The fibro meat has a sweeter taste. Not completely different, just a subtle difference, but noticeable.

I can probobly send you some eggs if you want Kassaundra.

Some NN FM eggs would be awesome sharkman. Adding a little new blood into the flock can never hurt. We could trade eggs if you'd like. Not all mine will be fm, but they will all be NN. If we work something out I'd rather just pick up rather then trust the PO

Some NN FM eggs would be awesome sharkman. Adding a little new blood into the flock can never hurt. We could trade eggs if you'd like. Not all mine will be fm, but they will all be NN. If we work something out I'd rather just pick up rather then trust the PO

I am way down in west palm beach FL so I would probobly need to ship unless you know any truckers or vacationers. Has anyone shipped in a flat rate box? Maybe 24 eggs I could also include some slow broiler X nn frizzles or some frizzles silkie eggs if you would like.

Last edited:
I am way down in west palm beach FL so I would probobly need to ship unless you know any truckers or vacationers. Has anyone shipped in a flat rate box? Maybe 24 eggs I could also include some slow broiler X nn frizzles or some frizzles silkie eggs if you would like.

Oh! There is an Okie w/ the screen name of sharkman too, I was getting you guys mixed up.

And yes on the flat rate box, I've used it to send eggs w/ success.

Hi guys,
im looking to add some Lf turken to my laying flock but I'm having trouble finding some. Even the big hatcheries are out of stock.ive never seen turken for sale in my area. Any suggestions? Id like to breed them to my ameraucaunas and get a NN EE flock. :)
Thanks

Hi guys,
im looking to add some Lf turken to my laying flock but I'm having trouble finding some. Even the big hatcheries are out of stock.ive never seen turken for sale in my area. Any suggestions? Id like to breed them to my ameraucaunas and get a NN EE flock. :)
Thanks

NN/EE check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/939680/green-egger-naked-neck-thread/120#post_14947719

As far as where to get them. There are a few here on BYC that sell eggs for hatching. I was but hens are just now beginning to pick up. When they get a little better I will have some full and some crossed for the Gren Egger Najed Necks.

Also you may try Cackle Hatchery for Nsked Znecks and Easter Eggers. They usually always have some available.

Back
Top Bottom