Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Draye, that hen has beautiful coloring, I think that was very hard to achive. I hope you will get more chickens that look like that!

Your plans, DesertChic are great! That should be a great cross. Btw, I have to ask you how long are you in chickens, if I remember it's not so long, am I right?

Not even a year yet. I started last November after spending a couple years researching various poultry keeping methods, various breeds, etc. My husband bought me a lovely little coop so we could have "four to six chickens"....but once I had my first chicks I was in love. So I started reading and researching again....investing in a huge library of poultry husbandry and keeping books from the early 1900s onward, books on genetics, etc. I read each of them cover to cover, took notes, formulated plans...because I'm a nerd, and that's how I roll.
wink.png

Now I have 56 chickens of various ages and breeds and over half of our property has been dedicated to them. With the exception of my starter flock and my three White Rocks, I've selected and hatched all of my chickens for the sole purpose of creating two separate flocks...one devoted to egg production and one devoted to meat productions. I absolutely LOVE this "hobby".

Im also looking for nn hatching eggs, blue or gren eggs
Would like 4-8 shipped to NJ

Did you guys try to contact Dipsy Doodle Doo? I got my blue and green egg laying NNs from her! She lives in South Carolina. I love my chickens from her.....some are frizzled, too! If you can't contact her, PM me and I will give you her number..

Did you guys try to contact Dipsy Doodle Doo?  I got my blue and green egg laying NNs from her! She lives in South Carolina.  I love my chickens from her.....some are frizzled, too!  If you can't contact her, PM me and I will give you her number..

I DID SEND HER A PM THIS AFTERNOON BUT IT SHOWS THE LAST TIME SHE LOGGED IN WAS AUG 2014 SO DON'T KNOW IF SHE'LL GET IT

Not even a year yet. I started last November after spending a couple years researching various poultry keeping methods, various breeds, etc. My husband bought me a lovely little coop so we could have "four to six chickens"....but once I had my first chicks I was in love. So I started reading and researching again....investing in a huge library of poultry husbandry and keeping books from the early 1900s onward, books on genetics, etc. I read each of them cover to cover, took notes, formulated plans...because I'm a nerd, and that's how I roll. ;)

Now I have 56 chickens of various ages and breeds and over half of our property has been dedicated to them. With the exception of my starter flock and my three White Rocks, I've selected and hatched all of my chickens for the sole purpose of creating two separate flocks...one devoted to egg production and one devoted to meat productions. I absolutely LOVE this "hobby". 

Wow, so many chickens, big and great plans that are in progress and not even a year in chickens. I admire you and loove all of your chickens!

Not even a year yet. I started last November after spending a couple years researching various poultry keeping methods, various breeds, etc. My husband bought me a lovely little coop so we could have "four to six chickens"....but once I had my first chicks I was in love. So I started reading and researching again....investing in a huge library of poultry husbandry and keeping books from the early 1900s onward, books on genetics, etc. I read each of them cover to cover, took notes, formulated plans...because I'm a nerd, and that's how I roll.
wink.png

And this shows wisdom beyond your experience. Thee are so many folks who stand toe to toe with me and argue to the contrary but I don't think anyone will ever produce a chicken, made of flesh and blood, that will be a marvelous steady egg producer and still be worth anymore than feather soup as a meat bird. That's my story....blah, blah, blah...
old.gif

I have a question about nn. I have read that they ay later than most hens. Is this true in your experience? Also what is your lay rate? I am considering building my laying folk with NN and would love feedback. Right now I have 2 that are about 15 weeks.

I have a question about nn. I have read that they ay later than most hens. Is this true in your experience? Also what is your lay rate? I am considering building my laying folk with NN and would love feedback. Right now I have 2 that are about 15 weeks.

Mine started laying a couple days before 19 weeks of age, which in my opinion is pretty good. That last of my NN pullets, which was actually a mixed breed NN and probably Cochin, to start laying began between 20 & 21 weeks. After a month of consistent laying their eggs weigh on average about 1.45 ounces. (Yes....I even weigh their eggs daily.)
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom