Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Here's the update on Hatch #2 (Born on 02/25/17 - 15 days old)

Trio!

Quite a few of this gray skin, mixed Nn.

Here's 1/3 super black Fm Nn.

We are forecast to get 4"-8" of snow tonight, and I've been shooting to have Batch #1 outside by 03/20... well that isn't going to happen now. So I've spent most the day clearing space and building out another enormous brooder for these 150+ chicks. They are so happy now tho!

Love hearing about everyone's stories! Keeps me motivated! A lot going on here with the baby AND the farm!

Quote:
Here's a breeding chart for BBS.

Anything black crossed with a splash would get full blues if that's what your looking for. But if you're looking for some of each crossing the a Blue and blue Would get you all 3 colors

Yea- Snape and Mystique. Snape would be perfect as if he were a copper man, he would be labeled black copper, so... Mystique has a nit too much color but she is black, and if Monkey has melanizers, he will help keep the chicks dark (but do expect variable leakage)

Thanks all!!!!! That's what I was thinking. And maybe Trinity and Switch? Trinity is all black (except the tip of one single feather), with the bonus of being NN phenotype. Switch is also NN and is like a really dark version of Mystique and mostly has just edging on the feathers.

(As if I need another project!!!
th.gif
)

- Ant Farm

Yep! blue and splash is just dilution of black pigment. doesn't do very much to red/gold- would eventually make blue tail buffs if bred to Puppy, Tank, your budding giants etc.

Here's the update on Hatch #2 (Born on 02/25/17 - 15 days old)

Trio!

Quite a few of this gray skin, mixed Nn.

Here's 1/3 super black Fm Nn.

We are forecast to get 4"-8" of snow tonight, and I've been shooting to have Batch #1 outside by 03/20... well that isn't going to happen now. So I've spent most the day clearing space and building out another enormous brooder for these 150+ chicks. They are so happy now tho!

Love hearing about everyone's stories! Keeps me motivated! A lot going on here with the baby AND the farm!

ahh babies.

I'd guess the oeg does not have fibro. Not a total guarantee though.. for example this rooster is fibro.. he had greyish skin as a chick. btw fibro varies a LOT even when everything else is otherwise the same on the birds and it is incredibly difficult to breed for a rooster that maintains the dark skin past one yr of age in projects.. anyways here he is.. if I did not mention he is fibro, most people would never guess it was present at all..

Knowing this and looking at him much closer in your hands, you can see a very slight duskiness in some areas(maybe you can see a bit of that below his eye).. his neck is not exactly the same red shade as non fibro roosters(the camera brightened his a skin a slight bit.. it is kind of leaning towards a cranberry red color) other things like a thin black line around his eye and the legs are that color because of it.

that cockerel with patchy legs probably will turn out like him. you can still use him over the right hens to ditch the Id and also the cockerel with barring on his tail.. breed that one with non barred hens, if he only has one copy of barring you should get half non barred offspring, if fibro is also present it will show up better on those.

Thanks so much for this! You are such a treasure mine of knowledge! Yes the cockerel I've been asking about has a neck like this too with dark legs, his fibro is hard to see too. So the id can be bred out then? It's not dominant? And the right hens would be any that are slate legged (given that they have other winning qualities)? Or fibro? Great.

The cockerel I originally asked about is for the chop, he started picking on one of my favourite hens today. Thank you eveyone for your help and advice. I let his good looks get in the way of my judgement for too long.

It's great how busy this thread is, I have a lot of catching up reading to do - again!

Ancel

Thanks all!!!!! That's what I was thinking. And maybe Trinity and Switch? Trinity is all black (except the tip of one single feather), with the bonus of being NN phenotype. Switch is also NN and is like a really dark version of Mystique and mostly has just edging on the feathers.

(As if I need another project!!!
th.gif
)

- Ant Farm
Personally, I'd be more focused on egg color with feather color being secondary. Your splash rooster over any color of NN hen should produce blue chicks. That is my experience anyway. If you want the offspring to maintain the dark egg color, be sure to select hens that already lay darker eggs.

If your focus is BBS coloring, then a black hen would be the best choice. My line has a small amount of Wheaten Marans in it. I have never hatched a wheaten chick, but some of my hens have more of a straw colored lacing rather than copper.

They are beautiful- and their eggs to! I see you have a easter egger with them. Maybe some olive eggers in the making?!?
Yes! They will be olive eggers.
big_smile.png

My plan wasn't to make more olive eggers, but they seem to sell well, so that is what we have. I had to take to take the NN hens out of the Marans pen because I couldn't tell the eggs apart. As soon as I get a new Marans rooster i will be breeding strictly for chocolate Turken eggs. Plus the hens are beautiful.

Yes!  They will be olive eggers.  :D

My plan wasn't to make more olive eggers, but they seem to sell well, so  that is what we have.  I had to take to take the NN hens out of the Marans pen because I couldn't tell the eggs apart.  As soon as I get a new Marans rooster i will be breeding strictly for chocolate Turken eggs.  Plus the hens are beautiful.  

Olive egger naked necks are still just a dream to me.

Here's the update on Hatch #2 (Born on 02/25/17 - 15 days old) Trio! Quite a few of this gray skin, mixed Nn. Here's 1/3 super black Fm Nn. We are forecast to get 4"-8" of snow tonight, and I've been shooting to have Batch #1 outside by 03/20... well that isn't going to happen now. So I've spent most the day clearing space and building out another enormous brooder for these 150+ chicks. They are so happy now tho! Love hearing about everyone's stories! Keeps me motivated! A lot going on here with the baby AND the farm!
They're so cute! I love NN chicks. Now I can't wait for mine to hatch.

Last edited:
you got the expected results actually. half n half. btw as for feathers in front of neck.. despite what sources may say, it is the birds with large patches of many feathers covering most of the front that have only one gene. Most pure for NN birds actually have a tiny bowtie with a few feathers mid-neck.. the neck is very visible from the front. Total bare necks are somewhat rare/uncommon.. there is no real data on that but from my experience it may be needing two NN genes plus an extra gene that somehow makes the neck totally bare.

If your bird were in the U.S. I'd have thought her to be mixed with game chicken due to her hard, short feathers on body and a fairly big tail. I'm not familiar with the breeds and typical chickens in your country... she could either be a local breed, a mix... may still be part game as these are all over the world,

and welcome! hope the order contained a couple naked necks..
wink.png

Wow, thanks for the info!

They've been around here so long they're considered a local breed, but I've searched everywhere and bantam NN's are unheard of here. That, combined with her feather, leg and egg colouring aswell as her 5 toes leads me to believe she must be a mix. But I don't know where she came from, so maybe she was bred that way on purpose by a breeder.

There weren't any NN's available when I ordered my new chicks, so I got Koekoeks (another local breed similar to barred rocks) and New Hampshires, but if she gets on with them well enough and the roos aren't too big for her I might try crossing her with a Koekoeks.

Seeing all the pics here of naked neck chicks is getting me excited for the hatch, they do make the cutest little babies
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom