Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Hi everyone! I'm jumping in this thread as I currently have somewhat of a Turken obsession. I got 5 Turkens from Ideal poultry almost 2 years ago, and I was so impressed with them and their laying capabilities, I started crossing them to Ameraucanas and Marans. I have specific goals with these experiments. I'm wondering does everyone make crosses of these birds? I live in the desert so their laying capability and hardiness cannot be beat.

This guy is an EE Turken I bred last spring that I'm putting over all my NN girls in a few weeks. I love his color and size.

Here's the Marans cock I'm using. He's not correct for Marans SOP because he lacks leg feathers and slate legs, but his type is heavy and just really nice over all. Plus the hens from his line lay extra-jumbo glossy brown eggs.

Here's a Marans x chick I recently hatched out.

I'm hoping to have a whole flock of these large, meaty, great laying birds of brown AND green eggs next spring.

Hi everyone! I'm jumping in this thread as I currently have somewhat of a Turken obsession. I got 5 Turkens from Ideal poultry almost 2 years ago, and I was so impressed with them and their laying capabilities, I started crossing them to Ameraucanas and Marans. I have specific goals with these experiments. I'm wondering does everyone make crosses of these birds? I live in the desert so their laying capability and hardiness cannot be beat.

This guy is an EE Turken I bred last spring that I'm putting over all my NN girls in a few weeks. I love his color and size.

Here's the Marans cock I'm using. He's not correct for Marans SOP because he lacks leg feathers and slate legs, but his type is heavy and just really nice over all. Plus the hens from his line lay extra-jumbo glossy brown eggs.

I'm hoping to have a whole flock of these large, meaty, great laying birds of brown AND green eggs next spring.

Beautiful birds! And in answer to your question - YES! We absolutely cross nearly everything with NNs. You're in good company here as I think most of us wholeheartedly believe that nearly every breed is improved with a dose of NN blood thrown in the mix.
wink.png

I actually have my first NN/EE cross eggs in the incubator right now.

Beautiful birds! And in answer to your question - YES! We absolutely cross nearly everything with NNs. You're in good company here as I think most of us wholeheartedly believe that nearly every breed is improved with a dose of NN blood thrown in the mix.
wink.png

Oh yay! I love my NN EE layers. I'll try to get pics of them, they are pretty girls. It's crazy...they are my treasures. So many people don't "get" NNs.

Oh yay! I love my NN EE layers. I'll try to get pics of them, they are pretty girls. It's crazy...they are my treasures. So many people don't "get" NNs.

I know! Crazy, isn't it? Yet once people actually spend time with them they often become "converts" and learn to appreciate not only their unique beauty, but also their exceptional hardiness, friendly and affectionate personalities, and amazing productivity. To me the NNs are the ultimate dual purpose breed.
smile.png

I know! Crazy, isn't it? Yet once people actually spend time with them they often become "converts" and learn to appreciate not only their unique beauty, but also their exceptional hardiness, friendly and affectionate personalities, and amazing productivity. To me the NNs are the ultimate dual purpose breed.
smile.png
Agree!

I call my NN green Eggers GENN's. Green Egger Naked Necks.

I've got a thread in them.

I just can't seem to get very many antmorecthat lay green eggs.

welcome!

I am after green and brown egger NNs too. my avatar pic is my first araucana/NN cross. no luck with marans so far.

btw, your marans guy is a good breeder. if you cross him with a heavy feathered leg hen you will get amazing chicks. marans are supposed to have pink legs, not slate. at bcm only darker legs are acceptable.

You are SO in the right place - we adore NNs here and cross them with wild abandon. My first NNs were form Ideal about 1.5 years ago as well, and I was also super pleased with them. They are my core NN flock. I'm playing around with S&G broiler NNs and Aloha NNs this year as well.

wink.png

Absolutely - EVERY chicken looks better with a naked neck!!!
clap.gif

I've been crazy busy, but I got the 3 week weigh-in for the S&G NNs done this evening. Most are catching up, the three "runts" continue to be too small - not culling now, because I want to see what happens. But I may cull earlier rather than later. Only two data points for each bird, so the graph isn't that informative yet, but even with the horrific start they had I already have 6 that are bigger than Tank was at 3 weeks (10.35oz), and Heinz (the biggest friendly boy who has band #57 - so, Heinz 57. Har har har...) is a whopping 13.44oz at 3 weeks (and is a little brick). It's still a little early, but I'm excited by the possibility of some big girls in this group. They were fussy during weighing, but I've been so busy I haven't been able to spend time with them and handle them as much as I'd like. I need to make some more time to get them used to me. (Hard to do with 71 chicks growing...)

Here's Heinz 57:

So, I want to get more data, of course, but so far, it's looking like the S&G NNs ARE big solid birds, and the variability and issues/losses I've had are likely due to the terrible shipping delays and problems. As I said before, I will be pleased to have unrelated big NN genetics. The little Aloha NNs are super cute but are smaller at 4 weeks than these are at 3 weeks. I was already planning that cross to bring the size up - still think that's a good plan. I'll wait to see their coloring before deciding whether I want the S&G in the GNH cross project.

- Ant Farm

Hi everyone! I'm jumping in this thread as I currently have somewhat of a Turken obsession. I got 5 Turkens from Ideal poultry almost 2 years ago, and I was so impressed with them and their laying capabilities, I started crossing them to Ameraucanas and Marans. I have specific goals with these experiments. I'm wondering does everyone make crosses of these birds? I live in the desert so their laying capability and hardiness cannot be beat. This guy is an EE Turken I bred last spring that I'm putting over all my NN girls in a few weeks. I love his color and size. Here's the Marans cock I'm using. He's not correct for Marans SOP because he lacks leg feathers and slate legs, but his type is heavy and just really nice over all. Plus the hens from his line lay extra-jumbo glossy brown eggs. Here's a Marans x chick I recently hatched out. I'm hoping to have a whole flock of these large, meaty, great laying birds of brown AND green eggs next spring.
I have a couple Marans Naked Neck crosses. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom