Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Quote:
They do heal remarkably fast! Trinity got a chunk of the back of her scalp ripped right off by Snape when he was young and stupid. She healed fine, though there's a bit of a scar back there.

Good luck with her. You reminded me that Snape and Tank need their spurs trimmed. I'm not doing the plier thing after all the bleeding last time with Dumbledore, so I'm cutting the tips off with a dog toenail clipper. It could still bleed a little bit, but over a smaller surface area, and I have styptic this time. I think I'll do it this weekend. (I could go out there and do it now, but I'm beat.)

- Ant Farm

@DesertChic I had an incident where my GSD decided to use one of my hens as a chew toy. I thought for sure she wouldn't make it the first night; her wounds were bad. Like, missing patches of skin and exposed muscle tissue. I was told by experienced breeders however that chickens recover from flesh wounds very easily with no infection. I treated her minimally with vetricyn and blue cote and I was amazed to see her completely recover, regrowing the skin and feathers over areas of bare flesh. .Another time, the little cannibals went after a young cockerel and *completely* ate off half his parson's nose! It was just gone. I kept him separate after that, and he grew back the flesh, feathers and all. This is him, all grown up. I think if your girl made it past the first night, she'll be fine.

They do heal remarkably fast! Trinity got a chunk of the back of her scalp ripped right off by Snape when he was young and stupid. She healed fine, though there's a bit of a scar back there.

Good luck with her. You reminded me that Snape and Tank need their spurs trimmed. I'm not doing the plier thing after all the bleeding last time with Dumbledore, so I'm cutting the tips off with a dog toenail clipper. It could still bleed a little bit, but over a smaller surface area, and I have styptic this time. I think I'll do it this weekend. (I could go out there and do it now, but I'm beat.)

- Ant Farm

I'm trying the Dremel this weekend. The pliers worked for me, but Bosch would still start bleeding from his spurs more than a week after we'd removed them. I tried the dog toenail clipper, but Heisenberg's spurs are over 3 inches long and I don't think he'd tolerate a being restrained for the time it would take to clip them down sufficiently. So....I'll let you know how the Dremel experience goes.

I'd considered breaking down and giving an antibiotic, but I don't want to start down that road. Not only would I not be able to eat her eggs for several weeks (yes, she's still laying), but I wouldn't want to eat her meat once it was time to cull her. I prefer natural healing whenever possible, and culling when natural healing doesn't seem like an option.

I abraded the potentially infected tissue, emptied half a bottle of peroxide on her wounds, sprayed an antibacterial solution with lidocaine on her wounds, and put her in isolation with lots of clean bedding. Today I gave her a scrambled egg along with her regular feed and also added vitamins to her water. Tomorrow she'll get extra greens and possibly some yogurt. She actually seems to be doing pretty well tonight and the wounds are all scabbed over. NNs are amazingly hardy birds that never cease to impress me.
I forgot that people do eat chickens, lol. I can use antibiotics as I get more eggs than I need and I also feed 3-4 feral cats with boiled eggs. and my chickens still die naturally. I hope to be able to eat them some day
idunno.gif

My brother has anywhere from 40-60 chickens at any given time and utilizes the local livestock auction almost religiously. He's always either buying chickens or hatching eggs, or bringing in extras he doesn't want in order to sell in the auction. He's only ever butchered for eating like twice, and that was only while I was helping. They were older/non meat type birds and were too tough for the grill/bbq. So he decided he didn't want to do it anymore and eats the store bought battery cage chicken all the time. I could never wrap my head around that thought process on the matter.

My brother has anywhere from 40-60 chickens at any given time and utilizes the local livestock auction almost religiously. He's always either buying chickens or hatching eggs, or bringing in extras he doesn't want in order to sell in the auction. He's only ever butchered for eating like twice, and that was only while I was helping. They were older/non meat type birds and were too tough for the grill/bbq. So he decided he didn't want to do it anymore and eats the store bought battery cage chicken all the time. I could never wrap my head around that thought process on the matter.

I know a lot of people like that. And I know a lot of people who look at me with horrified expressions, especially after meeting my birds, as they ask, "How can you possibly kill and eat your birds? They LOVE you!" But when I started keeping chickens it quickly evolved from me wanting healthy eggs to eat to, "Why am I eating questionable meat when I can grow my own?" Less than a year after buying my first chick and after hours spent researching how to kill and butcher the birds, I finally butchered my first aggressive rooster. The killing is still the hardest part, but the meat is incomparable to anything I could ever buy in a store...and I know what went into the chicken and where it was raised.

Now I have breeding programs that are constantly evolving as I learn more and more....and I have way too many chickens....and more on the way.
roll.png

I'm so excited today! My NN's chicks are hatching, 8 are out with the last one pipped but not done yet. They're all still huddled under mom, so I can't get good pics till tomorrow but here's a sneak peek.

You can't see in the pic but it's got a naked neck

Back
Top Bottom