Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Tolbunt?!? :eek:bI had never heard of that color until I just now looked it up.
droolin.gif
It definately does look like a cross between mottle and laced. It is very cool looking, and I'm surprised it is not more common than it is.
idunno.gif
Is it a true breeding color? or do the offspring come out a % of mottled, laced, and tolbunt? Is it applicable to other breeds besides polish?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am so excited to see this thread!

A long time ago, probably about 18 years or so I saw my first turken. Boy oh boy was I confused. I have always been around chickens of some sort or another but these strange things was just nuts to me. My son (about 4 at the time) was driving down the road and saw these critters in the middle of the street. I stopped my car a ways back from them and asked my son what he thought they were. He said, " a chicken...a turkey...Mom, I have no idea what they are." After that we would drive by looking for them and stopping and staring into these poor ppls back yard just for a small glimpse of them.

I asked lots of ppl what these could be and nobody ever knew. 6 years ago I got a job working at a restaraunt in my local area and that in turn got me to speaking to different ppl . I was talking to a customer one day and asked him where he lived. He told me the place he lived at and guess what? It was at the strange animal house! I almost did the happy clapp! I said almost...ok maybe I did...
He then told me what exactly these chicken turkeys were.

Finally, after 18 years I have 23 little 2 week old turkens..naked necks...whatever and they are the cutest little birds ever! I can't wait to see the colors they will be. I am sure just the regulars but I dont care. Then to see the mixes on here...how awesome is that?

We still have to do the "Introduce yourself page" and we will soon. Until then my name is Tracy and my hubby is Lin. We are from California.

big_smile.png

Welcome tracey!
smile.png

we started into the breed as a hatchery turken it was a hen and she ended up dieing earlier this year from a coon. now we have a few different colors we got from hatching eggs
smile.png

Quote:
Well it all started in las vegas...

haha stole this from briarypatch on another thread

Showgirl have been crossed by silkies and turken but that isnt just how you get showgirls either you have to breed all the red combs out, the white skin, and get the 5th toe to there has been a lot of work to get this breed. Not only that but they are still throwing single red combs after all the years put into this breed

Quote:
Not sure why, perhaps partly because it can be hard to breed for if it doesn't yet exist in a breed. It's hard because it requires many genes- something simple seeming like lacing is actually due to several different genes(Pg,Co, Ml, Db etc). The more genes you want in a single animal, the harder it is to breed for. Mottle is yet another gene.. so that's at least 5 genes you want in same bird.. plus 6 if you also want Na(naked neck)..... It's a little easier if the breed already has lace and mottle.. both are not standard colors in NN so they have to be made from scratch. A challenge for sure! I am working on lacing, would be too much trouble to add mottle right now.. but will be very happy if mottle/tolbunt shows up later in the line from this silver laced hen.....

Tolbunt breeds true once you have all the necessary genes. Still a bit of challenge, have to select for good lacing plus the right amount of 'mottle'. The tolbunt name applies regardless of breed- it is the name of genetic combination of Gold laced plus Mottle. Same idea as Barred.. it's a gene combination of Barring on a solid black bird.. so that is why barred cochin, barred turken etc is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
That was a great story! and big welcome to someone with obvious great taste!
lol.png

My introduction to turkens is much less exciting.. ordered 25 straight run Modern Games and 3 turken pullets from McMurray.. just like the different and weird.. but made sure to order pullets, in case I didn't like the turkens(wanted to be sure they couldn't breed, was my obviously incorrect reasoning).. Well.. let's just say almost every single bird here NOW has a naked neck! (and don't have any moderns..) Had I known any better, would have simply ordered 25 straight run turkens and be done with it!

Last edited:
Quote:
Well it all started in las vegas...

haha stole this from briarypatch on another thread

Showgirl have been crossed by silkies and turken but that isnt just how you get showgirls either you have to breed all the red combs out, the white skin, and get the 5th toe to there has been a lot of work to get this breed. Not only that but they are still throwing single red combs after all the years put into this breed

Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure! I thought about starting my own line of red showgirls but I was afriad I was looking at it wrong.

I'm very new to this breed. I bought three black chicks a few days ago (pics. posted under stories as "well momma thinks we are pretty') and they seem, well, a lot more naked than most of the pictures I am seeing. Their crops are also naked....will they feather up here or is this trait considered to be desirable?

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom