Nankin Bantams

Wondering whether any of y'all still have Nankin pairs, or single pullets/hens available? I have sincle comb Nankins and would like to have some new birds for a bit more genetic variety. Line breeding has its merits, but my breeding stock is much too limited right now for comfort.

I have a single comb cockerel, but unfortunatly has gotten some frostbite on his comb this winter. it has been real cold here the last few weeks......

It's hard to keep our roos from getting frostbite in New England. I'm amazed that so far (knock wood) none of my younger or newer birds have gotten any this winter. I think that because they have stayed in the barn on the coldest days has helped. The older birds used to get frostbite wicked bad because they would go out in the run in real cold weather. The young guys wimp out and stay in!

Though I have several roos right now and could use some pullets or hens, Alicia, I'd still be happy to have another "stud." If your cockeral is available in the spring I'd still be interested in him even with frostbite -- I wouldn't be showing, just breeding, and a less than perfect comb from the cold doesn't matter for that!

Thanks.

GG

Last edited:
Nankin Bantams? They look like my Old English BB Reds. I got the original pair from a man that use to be here. Are they about the size of a morning dove or pigeon? He told me they were Bantams,I know bantams are small but never heard of Nankin, he also had some other pairs, I kick my self for not getting the porcelain (what he said they were). He has since moved and I can not find any information as to where. Are these the same?
I am in SC and would love to add a couple of females since I only have one female now and two roosters of this breed.

Last edited:
It's hard to keep our roos from getting frostbite in New England. I'm amazed that so far (knock wood) none of my younger or newer birds have gotten any this winter. I think that because they have stayed in the barn on the coldest days has helped. The older birds used to get frostbite wicked bad because they would go out in the run in real cold weather. The young guys wimp out and stay in!

Have you tried putting vaseline on their combs and waddles?​

I do use the vas. on all my roos.....he is the only one who got it, and he is in the barn in a cage. Not quite sure how that worked out, other than it's been colder en' heck.
wink.png
the last few few weeks, we had several days of -18 to -21 degree weather, for several days at a time.

I just have a quick question out of curiosity. What are the differences between a single comb Nankin and an Old English Game of similar color? They look very similar to me (Mind you I have not seen a Nankin in person).

Correct me if I'm wrong for those who breed these little guys. I find the black tailed buff/red color not particularly rare in mix breed bantams, and a single comb mix breed bantam is not rare at all either. Do you find people who have mix breeds try to call them Nankins because they have single combs and the black tailed buff/red color?

I've had mix breed flocks that could have any number of individuals branded and Nankins. What distinguishes the birds that truely have Nankin blood in them from the others?

So, in essence, you have to know your breeds.......just like for instance, if you set a Mille fleur Dutch next to a Mille fleur OEG, to some they may look the same.....to breeders, or others that know the standard you would know the difference. It is hard to really just give one example, but I have a hen that is a wheaten OEG cross, that when in with my Nan hens, you would think she was one. Her color is a touch lighter, her body style a bit slimmer.... but you see what I mean. Sorry for the long winded reply....it was the best I could do.
smile.png

1171469583038181576QoGBMc

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1171469583038181576QoGBMc

Here's a picture of one of my Nankin roosters with a bit of frostbite damage a few years ago. The tips of his comb have been "rounded" as a result. Some of my old "barn bantams" have had worse cases over the years, but maybe for the past few years the birds have not ventured out in the really cold weather as much and have been spared.

Vaseline never seemed to help, but keeping the birds in a dry barn during the worst weather has made a difference.

Last edited:
I just noticed that my girls had "lacing" on their feathers and yours did not. I wonder why. I got mine from a breeder, so I never really thought to check them to the Standard....

Back
Top Bottom