Nankin Bantams

the lacing is a DQ, I believe. Doesn't mean they aren't nice pets though.
smile.png
Your roos soom to be the right color, but the hens were too lacy. How old are they?

Lacing is definitely a liability in the breed, and unfortunately it turns up a lot in my hens. For every 10 pullets produced, maybe 1 or 2 have "clean" feathers (no lacing). It seems to be restricted to females.

One disqualifying feature that occasionally comes up in my male birds is a horizonally carried tail and too-long tail sickle feathers.

The original pair was probably around 18-22 months. The younger ones would have been 8-14 months. The original hen (Nanny) was colored that way. A few of the girls had less lacing. I honestly had no idea they weren't supposed to have it...lol Wow. Learn something new every day. Squeaky (the original roo) and all of his sons were colored like your roosters. What causes the lacing? Seems like it would be easier to have laced Nankin than fight it and try to keep them clean. It isn't like people crossed them with a laced bird...

GardnerGal - Are your birds' shanks slate colored? They look pink in the picture.

Last edited:
ChicknDaddy,
The Nankins in that photo have slate legs, but in that photo they look light for some reason. Maybe because of the sun?

Some of my hens do have pale slate or almost white legs while others, and all the roos, have deep slate. According to the British standards, either is acceptable just as single comb and rose comb are acceptable alternatives. I think the American standards, which are recent, are more toward slate.

I got my trio of Nankins today!
celebrate.gif

RC cockerel.

SC light hen

RC dark hen - this color was really hard to come by. I hope to get some chicks from this gal!

I was told by the breeder not to breed and hens w/ black hackles, or any birds w/ funky combs. (BTW, you CAN breed RC & SC you will get a variety of both)

I'm really excited!!! I'll have pics tomarrow....

wee.gif

Conservators Nankin Bantam Fowl has a diverse breeding stock of pure bread Nankin Bantam Fowl. Breeding stock collected from Alabama, California, Oregon and Washington. Our Nankin is rose comb and straight comb free ranging flock.
Pure breed Nankin Bantam eggs $30.00 plus shipping $13.00, we also sale chicken nipples, a clean watering system for coops and brooders. 5 for $5.00 plus shipping.
Rodney & Carol Thomson
Carol's Cell 541 514-7693 [email protected]
Conservators' Nankin Bantam Fowl Hobby Farm: Chicks in Roseburg, Oregon
Ancient breed of Oldest known Bantams

I am Nankin Bantam Breeder, Nankins can be hatched in a inci with fair results, putting them under a hen improves the results, as the eggs and chicks seem to need the hen talking to them before hatching, and the care of a mother after hatching. I can ship to the West coast this fall, It is to cold to ship East and have the egg hatch. I am taking orders for Spring eggs, contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
The original pair was probably around 18-22 months.  The younger ones would have been 8-14 months.  The original hen (Nanny) was colored that way.  A few of the girls had less lacing.  I honestly had no idea they weren't supposed to have it...lol  Wow.  Learn something new every day.  Squeaky (the original roo) and all of his sons were colored like your roosters.  What causes the lacing?  Seems like it would be easier to have laced Nankin than fight it and try to keep them clean.  It isn't like people crossed them with a laced bird...

GardnerGal - Are your birds' shanks slate colored?  They look pink in the picture.
Hi, I know this thread is VERY old but wanted to ask a ? I have 2 pairs of Nankins that I got about 3 weeks ago and to date have not gotten any eggs from them. The people I bought them from said they were already laying but I'm beginning to think that's not true. If I posted a pic could you tell me if they should be laying and if not when they may start?

Hey Y'all I'm looking for a couple of trios of Nankins somewhat close to Tn if you know where I can find them please let me know. Thanks
I just got mine last weekend from Northern Va, in Culpeper. Not sure how close that would be to you but you can look up Old Gjerpen Farm, the hens we're $5 a piece and the roo's I think we're $2 a piece.

Back
Top Bottom