Narragansett Turkeys Too Easy To Hatch

Eggscoozme

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Michigan
Okay, what gives? I incubated 2 eggs, and they both hatched within 8 hours of pipping, 2 days before hatch date. I was expecting this to be hard, and it was too easy.

I thought turkey eggs were hard to hatch or at least harder than chicken eggs.

From my hen. I have a pair of Narraga etts. Bought them from Cackle last year---July....so far only 1 out of 16 eggs did not develop, but maybe cause it was sitting outside in 20 something degree weather. I just happened to stumble across it in the yard. She has not laid any more for 2 days now. Maybe she's done? Not that we need more turkey meat, if these eggs all hatch.

Okay, what gives? I incubated 2 eggs, and they both hatched within 8 hours of pipping, 2 days before hatch date. I was expecting this to be hard, and it was too easy.

I thought turkey eggs were hard to hatch or at least harder than chicken eggs.
What make incubator do you use ?

What make incubator do you use ?
Genesis Hovabator 1588, no auto-turner this time. Put several eggs in an egg carton, rubberband the carton shut, flip on SIDE, one turn, other side the next. Couple days they only got turned twice - oops. Temp set at 99.8, try to keep humidity at 55. If anything, the humidity hit low 60's. Never changed any of those settings for anticipated hatch day. Hmmm

I've always wanted to hatch turkey, I know the babies can be friendly, but what about adults?
I've not been attacked, but he has that ability, if prompted. He doesn't go out of his way to hunt us down. He guards his girl who likes to come by me, if she thinks I have a snack, sooo......When I lean towards my Tom, he shys away, but, if I turn my back, I keep an eye on him for a moment, but then go about my business. Carrying a rake on days that I dont want to figure out where he's at or what not, is good enough. When I have the kids over, I'd keep hom locked up. So, in a nutshell, not aggressive, in my opinion, but not a lap turkey. Lol. My commercial whites were VERY docile, and would not mind having kids over, would follow us around yard while gardening....VERY sweet, and I was sad when we brought them in for butchering. In honor of their sacrifice, we didnt waste anything. Nothing was wasted.
I am glad our current Narragansett Tom is not a pussycat, because his gal enticed a small flock of Wild Easterns to our backyard during her current "season", but he, Pretty Boy, ran them off.

Last edited:
Genesis Hovabator 1588, no auto-turner this time. Put several eggs in an egg carton, rubberband the carton shut, flip on SIDE, one turn, other side the next. Couple days they only got turned twice - oops. Temp set at 99.8, try to keep humidity at 55. If anything, the humidity hit low 60's. Never changed any of those settings for anticipated hatch day. Hmmm
thanks for information

Back
Top Bottom