White Pigeon Estates

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
please help. I bought a female friend for our male Muscovy. Within a few weeks she was already brooding on 11 eggs. Ima and Lady Gray were best of friends until she started brooding. He kept leaving for longer periods until finally he slept by himself outside the coop. 11 eggs hatched all healthy and at just over 2 weeks I’m having to put Ima back in the coop by carrying him. He hates it and Lady Gray keeps trying to kick him out. Poor dude is being attacked jumped on feathers pulled etc. Lady Gray had lost her mind. Coop is 10’x12’, water changed 3 times a day for babies. Healthy food snacks etc. I’m doing a great job looking after them other than Lady Gray despised him. What do I do or what can I do to bring them back together. Am I doing something horribly wrong or do female ducks have hormone issues? She’s going nuts. I can’t figure it out. Coyotes are loud and hungry in my area right now. I can’t let him sleep outside.

Broody muscovies are super mean. You might want to get your drake a few more females though so he doesnt keep bothering the one. And figure out how to keep the drake separate from your broody mom. She needs to be left alone. The drake could kill them (some do and some don't) that is why she isn't too happy.

Yep once ducklings are on their own she'll be back with her drake. She see him a danger to her ducklings now so make a separated area just for him inside for about 2 more weeks maybe 3 then she'll begin to settle down. You may have to watch him with the ducklings then once she let up on her protection. Just play it by ear.

She might be worried he'd hurt the babies. It might be a good idea to put a separator in your coop, so he's not sleeping alone or outside. One that allows them to see each other but still keep them separate.
Thank you I can do that - we have a large dog crate that will work perfect. He didn’t come up from the creek tonight. My family says of course not after making him sleep inside last night! I will get it ready tomorrow. Thanks a lot for replying.

Yep once ducklings are on their own she'll be back with her drake. She see him a danger to her ducklings now so make a separated area just for him inside for about 2 more weeks maybe 3 then she'll begin to settle down. You may have to watch him with the ducklings then once she let up on her protection. Just play it by ear.
Will do. Thank you. I can’t imagine Lady Gray letting up an inch regardless the age of her ducklings. She friggin loves these little ones. Amazing to watch but crazy just the same.

I hope he is alright and not hurt or anything - I know first hand now how it feels to have one hurt and not be able to save him...
He’s okay. BUT the odds of a coyote not finding him are against him. It worries me to the point of waking up out of my sleep. I’m going to build a temporary home for him today and tomorrow close to Lady Grays home. What we do eh...crazy bird lovers!

Back
Top Bottom