Native American Heritage Anyone?

Good talking with you mac, I think that you and I both learned something about looking at things from another perspective. Thanks for giving me your point of view. And yes, I did kind of skip right over that fighting image. Not on purpose, just forgot to look at it. And I am aware of the discrimination against the Irish in this country at a certain time in history. So, maybe all this means is that we all need to be more cognisant of how these slights make us feel, and so be more careful about using any of them directed towards others. I myself have to work hard to remember not to make across the board comments when I see someone whose driving is really bad, and they happen to be of another nationality. We all hear the remarks, we all know how bad they sound, and yet there are certain things that we all think or say. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I needed that.

I really must congratulate you two on your discussion. I think it's great that you two have discussed some touchy issues without getting mad or being insulted . GOOD JOB!!

Wayne
thumbsup.gif

The Jumano was not an official tribe per se but a word for they Puebloan Indians who traveled and traded along the Rio Grande. At some point in the late eighteenth/ early nineteenth century they interacted and settled in modern South Texas with Jewish Creoles (the decedents and survivors of the Spanish and Mexican Inquisitions) and formed the Norteno (aka Tex Mex) culture. Marrano is a derogatory term for Jew in Spanish(it literally means 'pig') but is now used as a term of identity and empowerment. Where things get weird is that, as Roman Catholicism was the mandatory religion of Mexico at the time, many customs from butchering to grave sites have many Jewish traditions disguised as Catholic. People still butcher animals on their property in a Kaballah like circle with the animals upside down (to drain the blood). Graves in many border towns face east. Growing up none of this really stuck out to me, it was just home. It wasn't until I was older that it became a point in finding my own identity. Crazy stuff in those reading books, huh?

Quote:
Huh that's something new I never heard of. Jumano or Marranos. I'll have to look that up and see what I can find. And be careful what you wish for . When the hair on my face had some color in it, it wasn't that hard to shave and keep trim. Since it's going gray now it's like trying to shave barb wire!! lol

If you have any links about he Jumano or the Marrano, please post it !! I love to read about he different groups of people.

Wayne

When I was growing up there was a lot of discussion about whether we had Mexican ancestors or Yaqui Indian ancestors.

Later on it was admitted it was Yaqui Indians. No one wanted to admit it in Grandpa's generation because the Indian nations had fallen so low (in his opinion) and he preferred to be equated with the work ethic of Mexican people. Sadly, Grandpa's gone and its hard finding out more about that branch of the family tree.

Quote:
My daughters go to an orthodontist who asked about Indian ancestry as soon as he saw their teeth. They have Cherokee on their father's side. He said they don't have typical Cherokee dental structure. I didn't tell him I have Indian blood on my side but he looked at my teeth and said that I do, but not Cherokee. And he's correct. It's Yaqui: Mom's family is from AZ.

He said after you've looked at teeth for a long time you can tell, because different tribes have different 'dental signatures' (his words).

Quote:
My daughters go to an orthodontist who asked about Indian ancestry as soon as he saw their teeth. They have Cherokee on their father's side. He said they don't have typical Cherokee dental structure. I didn't tell him I have Indian blood on my side but he looked at my teeth and said that I do, but not Cherokee. And he's correct. It's Yaqui: Mom's family is from AZ.

He said after you've looked at teeth for a long time you can tell, because different tribes have different 'dental signatures' (his words).

This is really interesting , When I wrote that post a while back , several people wrote me about asiatic Shovel tooth. I think when I have time to do some googling . I'm gonna try to look up something about dental signatures. You can learn new things from the strangest places. ---If anybody has seen some websites , about this kind of thing, I would really appreciate if you would post it !! Thanks-- Wayne--

Quote:

Vary interesting. How do Cherokee's teeth differ from other Native American tribes?

It's rumored that one of my great grandparents was full blooded Native American. However, I guess this was a very taboo subject when my grandmother and her siblings were kids. A bunch of them flat out deny it, and my grandmother no longer recalls which tribe it actually was. For the longest while, she said it was Chippewa. In the last few years she changed her mind and said Cherokee. Now she's just unsure in general. I always liked to think that I had Native American in my bloodline, but there is no physical proof. Wish they had a DNA test for that.

Quote:

Vary interesting. How do Cherokee's teeth differ from other Native American tribes?

okay guys I googled and found this site -- So far a lot of information just starting reading it -- passthepeace-- This is a must read for me and you.
just started reading this so You'll have to be the judge on some of this stuff. Wayne -------HAPPY HUNTING

DUMB ME --here's the link http://www.othermetis.net/AboGene/Gene.html

Last edited:
Here is a link about the Melungeons-- Very interesting and might be a missing link for somebody looking for native american lineage. AT the bottom of this page make sure you check out the article for similar groups of people .. Some very interesting little known facts are found in these articles. This is a Must read in my opinion. I think a lot of people aren't even aware of these unique groups of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeons

You all let me hear from you to tell me what you think-----Wayne

Back
Top Bottom