Natural hatching

She'll keep them warm.
When I've had broodies with chicks at 30 or less, I would hang a heat lamp over food and water so they could eat and drink in comfort but I hadn't found any other effort to be necessary.

the new baby hatched this morning..waiting for the second.very healthy plump little guy.didnt know which one actually was laying this egg but niw im pretty sure.i always seen my sizzle. In the nest box under the this blue egg but i blamed it on my easter egger.well this little guy has 5 toes, darker skin,and a little puff on top of head and is looking like coloring of my sizzle but was a blue egg..wow

Nice pic!!

I'm with CC. Momma hen will keep babies warm as long as they are warm enough to get to her.....cold babies don't move much and cant get to mother for heat and succumb to hypothermia. Warm water helps keep the babies from getting cold and the heat lamb will help with that...just remember to always refill with warm water as thirsty babies drink a lot and get chilled with cold water.

Good luck!!

this is little guy aboves mom at it again..i left three under her cause if i dont leave any she still goes in the nest box n sits all day except when she eats at breakfast..so i figure she might as wrll b in there for a reason..lol.

Last edited:
Yea i hated it to but he was so cold he was barely moving and would get out of nest box and didnt get back in and i cant stand to watch them suffer or die..its 40 degrees at night here and some nights freezing..in spring shel have them with her..the other one died..im thinking got out and couldnt get back in also..and it was perfect at hatch just like sibling above.being a nurse i think i have the save mode in me instead of take a chance when i see a problem..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom