Too many in incubator?

HenTea

Chirping
Apr 9, 2022
I am sure its been asked, but I will do it again. We have our 1st incubator. It holds 42. We are down to 31. 1st one hatched last night at 1 am. I have 11 almost 12 right now. Its chaotic in the incubator. Chicks crashing eggs, chicks stepping on new borns. I am worried about the chicks. I know I should not open it. I need to let them dry. I really want to set up the heat lamp and a warm spot and start pulling the older ones. I am worried about them getting hurt or the ones not hatched yet having problems.

What do I do?

I would already have the brooder set up so its warm when they come out.
Once the chick is fully dry it is best to pull them out. Its usally 12 hours.

A rule of thumb I always try to follow whenever I hatch anything is to make sure the brooder is set up as much as possible/warmed up before the first one hatches. That way if I need to pull them out before they completely dry off 100% of the way, there's a warm, dry spot with space that I can put them in.

Is the best practice to leave them in the incubator until they are completely dry? Yes. Is it okay to pull them out if there are space concerns and they're bouncing around being menaces? Also yes.

I'm dealing with a slightly crowded incubator on hatching day myself right now, and once they get out of their shells I'm pulling shells out of the way and as soon as they show me they're fine activity level-wise they're going right into the brooder so they don't crash into anyone or anything and hurt either themselves or their siblings that haven't made it out yet. Mind you, I have a smaller incubator than you do so use your best judgement.

I agree I remove them from the incubator pretty quickly. If they stay too long they get so active and the bull over all the remaining eggs. A few hours after they hatch I move them unless there is another in the middle of zipping.

So what is going to be the best way to move them to the brooder ? I have the incubator in the house and the brooder outside. I did go turn the heat lamp on. I will at the very least pull the shells out. I could warm up the hearing pad, or hot water bottle. Really did not think this one through. lol
A rule of thumb I always try to follow whenever I hatch anything is to make sure the brooder is set up as much as possible/warmed up before the first one hatches. That way if I need to pull them out before they completely dry off 100% of the way, there's a warm, dry spot with space that I can put them in.

Is the best practice to leave them in the incubator until they are completely dry? Yes. Is it okay to pull them out if there are space concerns and they're bouncing around being menaces? Also yes.

I'm dealing with a slightly crowded incubator on hatching day myself right now, and once they get out of their shells I'm pulling shells out of the way and as soon as they show me they're fine activity level-wise they're going right into the brooder so they don't crash into anyone or anything and hurt either themselves or their siblings that haven't made it out yet. Mind you, I have a smaller incubator than you do so use your best judgement.

So what is going to be the best way to move them to the brooder ? I have the incubator in the house and the brooder outside. I did go turn the heat lamp on. I will at the very least pull the shells out. I could warm up the hearing pad, or hot water bottle. Really did not think this one through. lol
Ohhh dear, okay that does make it a touch more complicated. I have the brooder in the same room as the incubator this time so it's been easy enough for me to just scoop them up by hand and gently put them in the brooder. (I've always done my brooders indoors personally but that's just because of my setup and such). I would make sure that the brooder is as close to 100% warmed up before moving them for sure. If you have a whole bunch you could grab a cardboard box and gently place them in there to transport them quickly to the brooder once it's warm. If you're working with a cabinet and you have a spare hatching tray you're not using, pop them into that and transport them that way.

Ohhh dear, okay that does make it a touch more complicated. I have the brooder in the same room as the incubator this time so it's been easy enough for me to just scoop them up by hand and gently put them in the brooder. (I've always done my brooders indoors personally but that's just because of my setup and such). I would make sure that the brooder is as close to 100% warmed up before moving them for sure. If you have a whole bunch you could grab a cardboard box and gently place them in there to transport them quickly to the brooder once it's warm. If you're working with a cabinet and you have a spare hatching tray you're not using, pop them into that and transport them that way.
How this happens, is my husband does them and I fix them. They are his chickens. One day I may learn and fix them before he does them. I dont really want the chicks in my house. They make a big mess. Its is chilli out side still. ( northern Canada) I have the thermometer in the brooder. Taking the old shells out has helped. Will see how things go and if I have too will move brooder inside. or at least a temporary one.

i take them out as they hatch and put them in the brooder wet .. if its set up properly there will be no problems, an incandescent works best so they can get to a spot thats warm enough or move away as necessary .. and lifting the lid to grab a chick and spent shell takes a couple of seconds and wont hurt a thing .. ive done this for a long time, best way to do it.

i take them out as they hatch and put them in the brooder wet .. if its set up properly there will be no problems, an incandescent works best so they can get to a spot thats warm enough or move away as necessary .. and lifting the lid to grab a chick and spent shell takes a couple of seconds and wont hurt a thing .. ive done this for a long time, best way to do it.
We got the brooder up to heat, put them in a shoe box and ran for it. They are all happy and cozy in the brooder. I will take a few out later and again before work tomorrow. 9 in the brooder, 5 in the incubator 17 eggs left. Thank you everyone for your help. I though you could not move them till they are dry and been in there for a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom