Natural Remedies to keep a Healthy Flock

Breakofday316

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
I would like to go all natural with my chickens when it comes to illnesses and just health maintenance. I currently use Rosemary, DM powder, Apple Cider Vinager, Garlic. Any one else have suggestions on immune boosters & ancient medication for chickens?
Thanks

2nd @Mrs. K keeping the coop clean and plenty room and of ventilations, fresh water and clean healthy food everyday and proper hygiene keeps my flock healthy. We are going 3rd year and so far none of ours get sick.

What is DM powder?

Good basics should take care of everything, as stated in 2 posts above.

IMO, all that stuff is pretty much fluff, does more for keepers psychologically than it does for the birds physically.
Addition of a plethora of supplements can cause problems themselves,
or mask, complicate, and cause confusion in diagnosing any real ailments.

diatomaceous earth Good grade. Read wonderful things about it! Used mostly for parasites: internal & external. Naturally from the earth
1f603.png

diatomaceous earth Good grade. Read wonderful things about it! Used mostly for parasites: internal & external. Naturally from the earth
1f603.png
Oh, DE.

Yeah, not good for a fraction of what's touted to 'cure'....and can be hazardous to boot.
Only good as a possible preventative when used in a dry place....only thing I've found to be absolutely effective is with killing grain mites in feed.

Our ground here in Texas is usually dry as a cork. We live in a very wooded area & they free range around the house. We do not fertilize or put any chemicals on our yard.

If you live in an area where it gets cold but coconut oil on your chickens combs/feet als putting DE where your chickens take dust bathes helps get rid of mites I even put it in my nesting boxes in the summer it got so hot here so me got a awning pool and put our chickens in that the cold water done them some good and we put a fan on them at night and during the day but chickens can Handel coldness better than heat even in the winter I sometimes turn on the heat lamp just in case (cut a little hole in the wall big enough for heat lamps and box fans and change them out during Change of seasons) another good thing is feeding them DE and keeping windows open (if u have a feed room with Windows connected to your coop open them) before your hens are laying even open the nesting box to let in more of a breeze if it's summer leave window and neasting box open them shut the nesting box during the day (make sure no predators can get into your coop when you do this)

Back
Top Bottom