Naturally Worming Chickens

chickens112

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Cuero Tx
What are some ways that you can worm chickens and still get eggs to eat from them. I read something about putting dried garlic in thier water. Thanks

We give them all the pumpkins and squash left over from the garden. That way, they get ALL the goodness of the pumpkin. Even frozen, they start pecking at it and in 1 day only the skin is left
smile.png

I have used chopped up pumpkin seeds but they are hard to find. I end up having to go to a health food store and that's too far out of my way.

I prefer to use raw grated garlic mixed in with cooled cooked grits.
I don't cook the garlic. It works better raw.
Or garlic mashed potatoes.
I also use this if they seem a little under the weather.

They love it.

I stand out there flinging spoonfuls of grits all over the yard and watch them scramble for it.

Last edited:
I use cayenne powder, about 2to tablespoons for 12 birds along with one freshly minced clove of garlic per bird. Hope this helps! 3 days in a row as a prevenative and 10 days in a row for active infestation with symptoms. Hope this helps and you haven't given up on this thread:)

i'm at my witts end with one of my hens. Ive tried two different antibiotics. garlic. oregano oil. still no improvement. she's gasping and wheezing like theres something stuck in her throat. could she have a bad infestation of worms? If I cant figure it out in the next week Ill have to euthanize her cus I have to leave town for work and cant ask my husband to more than he already has to do.

Gasping and wheezing can be either gapeworm or a respiratory illness. For the former, use molly's herbals formula #1 at double the dose. For the latter, keep with the garlic and include lots of healthy, easily digestible foods. Also include fermented feed or other ferments such as yogurt for at least one meal/day - for humans, 80% of the immune system is in the gut so I imagine it's the same for animals as well.

A note on molly's: I am right now treating a severe (bright bloody poops) case of coccidiosis in my week-old Cornish x and 2-week-old heritage chicks. Even after just one dose (one tbsp in feed for 37 chicks) ALL were back to normal, healthy poops! I don't know about its effectiveness on gapeworms, but the active compound is delivered through the bloodstream so it will get into those worms as well, but perhaps in lower amounts as compared to intestinal worms.

There are many "weeds" which can treat various other diseases. Dead nettle works on pneumonia and bronchitis, mullein cures mycoplasma... do some researching and see what kind of medicine you have growing in your yard that you can feed to your hen or make tea out of (if she won't eat them).

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you give them whole pumpkin seeds? Or do you chop or grind them up somehow? We got some pumpkin seeds that were sold as squirrel food, but our chooks aren't eating them. It seems like they're too big whole, so I wonder if I should chop them?

Back
Top Bottom