Nature Photography

Pics
Fascinating. I’ve heard of that phenomenon, but never seen it myself.
Star Trek Wow GIF

Sorry, I had to.

Observed the total eclipse in Seymour Indiana. 3min 9 second totality. I figured @mdees88 and others could do a better job captureling the moments in images so I just relaxed and enjoyed. Couldn't resist one cell phone shot at the peak of totality. It wasn't total darkness, more like sunset. Got real chilly. Beautiful light for photography. The frogs started croaking and geese honking overhead. Lots of killdeer birds calling. I was surprised how suddenly bright it was as soon as the total eclipse was over. The news predicted gloom and doom getting home but by taking backroads it became a beautiful spring day adventure. Never got stuck in any traffic jams.
20240408_150638.jpg

Observed the total eclipse in Seymour Indiana. 3min 9 second totality. I figured @mdees88 and others could do a better job captureling the moments in images so I just relaxed and enjoyed. Couldn't resist one cell phone shot at the peak of totality. It wasn't total darkness, more like sunset. Got real chilly. Beautiful light for photography. The frogs started croaking and geese honking overhead. Lots of killdeer birds calling. I was surprised how suddenly bright it was as soon as the total eclipse was over. The news predicted gloom and doom getting home but by taking backroads it became a beautiful spring day adventure. Never got stuck in any traffic jams.View attachment 3795770
Awesome capture! Saw it here too and loved the sunset colors during totality! There was a traffic jam on the way back, but it wasn't too bad.
D75_0683sm.jpg

Awesome photos guys and gals!

I planned on traveling to Texas or Arkansas, but I ended up in Poplar Bluff, Missouri to see the eclipse. It was my first total eclipse and it did not dissapoint. Hard to put into words how incredible the experience was. Viewing a partial or even an annular eclipse is in no way even remotely comparable to seeing totality. It's on a whole different level.

I ran two telephotos and 1 wide angle camera. I used 3 custom modes for the partial, bailey's beads, and totality phases with a lot of bracketed shots to keep from missing anything. Overall, it went quite well. I wanted to run one camera at 1120mm to get some close up prominence action but I chickened out. I ended up shooting at 500mm and 640mm. This gave me more margin for error and doubled my odds of coming away with some usable totality shots.

Skimming through my images, it looks like they turned out decent. I won't get to edit any until I get back to AL tomorrow.

Here was my setup and a couple off the viewfinder. A heavy crop of the 640mm showed decent detail in the prominences.

20240408_102218.jpg

20240408_143345.jpg

20240408_143229.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom