Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Pics
I totally agree! This is so cool...
lol.png

Welcome 2ndtimearound!

My husband and I are brand new to chickens this year. We have 5 total. Please post pictures as your coop progresses. It is so fun to watch that process. Check out my page if you like.
wink.png

Have a great time building!

Cathy

Thanks for the welcome LittleM & BigP. I did check out your page and pics of the coop going up. Great job! It really neat! I especially like the wall feeder. Might borrow that idea, if I may? Your girls are great looking too! Omaha doesn't allow any roos at all, only laying hens, so if I get a surprise roo, I'll have to find another home for him FAST! I'm hoping to start with Black Copper Marans, Ameracaunas and Leghorns, but I think I'm getting very interested in b orpingtons, escpecially after seeing your pics! I'm obsessed already
ya.gif

Quote:
A couple of each sounds perfect!
big_smile.png
Orps are perfect for Nebraska, with their big fluffy butt selves, they handle the cold really well. (I have two)
I have two leghorns or the Ideal 236's (same) and they do prett well for themselves, lay like machines. I don't have americana's but I have three EE's and 3 araucana's and they 5 of them lay the pretty green/blue eggs. One EE lays a pinkish color egg.

Quote:
2ndtimearound - Yes, you may use the feeder idea!! I just added another picture of the feeder on my page for you. It's the 5th picture down and it's a side view. My husband added a hinged lid to the top but its not attached in this picture. If you need measurements, just send me a PM and I will have him jot down the specifics.

I love my Buff girls, they are so incredibly sweet. My boy is friendly too which is one of the reasons I settled on Buffs. I went to this chicken chart to read about and compare chicken breeds. Great help!! Obviously we wanted COLD HARDY but friendly was a must too!!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

We also got 2 white Plymouth Rock Bantam hens (after we found out we had a rooster in our 3 chicks) because they are a friendly breed as well. We ended up keeping our boy because I could not bear to give him away after hand raising him in my house for 6 weeks!!! He hardly ever crows. I never hear him in the morning. Its prbably luck, but as I always say a rooster crowing in the morning is way better than dogs barking all day!!

Have fun....and perhaps we can meet & see each others chickens one day.
wink.png

Does anyone in the Lincoln area have any silkie chicks or showgirl chicks available?

I have a very determined silly silkie that really thinks she wants to hatch, in THIS weather, mind you.

Tried to break her but she is sticking fast,but she got very confused by another hen sitting, and the eggs she was on for two weeks got exposed to the cold for too long so probably wont hatch, also some of the eggs are "disappearing"? So not sure if its the other chickens or whats going on, but I cant break this girl, so will have to get her some babies and put them in a separate pen. I could take ANY breed, but would REALLY love some silkies or showgirls!
smile.png

Poor thing has been setting since the third week in September.
sad.png

Sorry no eggs here.... you need to find out why the eggs are disapearing, someone eating them? thats not good.

Good luck with the egg hunt, I've had a broody duck since the beginning of summer it seems, she just will not quit!

one of my Plymouth Rock bantam girls sat on 2 eggs for 23 days during August and part of Sept (and I kept a small dish of water right next to her and hand fed her every day!!) Finally, we booted her out into the run and took those eggs and cracked them open, and there was nothing in them, of course! She snapped out of it.

Back
Top Bottom