Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

I did use a sweeter heater and one heat lamp in my coop this winter. I live in SW ne. I made sure the heat lamp is hooked up well and cannot be knocked down. The sweeter heater I placed near the floor because I have some silkies and young silkies that dont go up high to roost. It also keeps the water inside from freezing. Not sure if they need it. I just felt sorry for them in the cold. They are both hooked to a thermocube that only turns on when it get very cold.

That's what I was thinking... but I wasn't sure. This is our first flock, and we're learning as we go. I always question where people live when I read their suggestions.

Thanks!

We are building our first coop and insulated it well, but also have windows, a door, and vents along the top. From what I have read, you should insulate in extremely cold climates (though some don't), but have adequate ventilation. Even in winter, the stale humid air must have a way to escape to avoid respiratory issues which chickens are very susceptible to. Keep in mind, it gets extremely hot in NE too, and they can't tolerate heat as well as the cold, so make sure they have good air circulation in the coop, and shaded areas if you are building a run.

If you want them to lay during the winter, you'll need to light the coop, as the daylight hours here are not long enough for chickens to lay.

I would suggest to read the posts in the coop links. I learned a lot by reading how others had designed theirs. Good luck.

For the girls I bought a parabolic heat dish. In winter they sit in front of it and "sun" themselves. I think it
may help with egg production because of the warmth. They love it.

I would suggest to read the posts in the coop links. I learned a lot by reading how others had designed theirs. Good luck.

I have read through many of the suggestions there and found a lot of great ideas. I just wasn't sure about a few things due to the fact we get all four seasons and drastic weather extremes. I wanted to ask local folks for more "correct for our area" information. Thanks again everyone!

We are just south of Bellevue. No heat and no insulation, just a well ventilated coop. We also have a covered run that we mostly wrap with sheeting in the winter. Even when the temp dips to minus zero if you reach in and feel a hen under her feathers she is nice and warm.
Since the run is covered we put all food and water in the run and not in the coop. I need to get some good spring time pictures.

900x900px-LL-1100a521_DSC00649.jpeg

Last edited:
We are northeast Nebraska. I tarped off the northwest corner of our run last winter to give the girls a windbreak- the other sides of the run are more protected by trees. We didn't do any extra heat & they did fine even on our coldest nights. We did let their litter get pretty deep too. Our coop is insulated except where the nesting boxes & on a side door I use for cleaning

Last edited:
Hello! I don't post much, but wanted to do a quick intro since I'm also in Nebraska. I'm in central NE and we are new to backyard chickens, although I was a farm kid growing up. We have a 7 week old white leghorn rooster, a 6 week old Rhode Island Red hen, and a 6 week bannie. We got started when my daughter hatched an egg at school and we adopted it and then bought a few friends. What we hoped would be a hen turned out to be a little roo. We were hoping to keep him, but now I'm not so sure. He's getting a bit aggressive towards our little Bannie and I'm afraid we simply don't have the room for a rooster. If anyone could recommend a good website/forum/facebook group/etc to find a loving home for him (if it comes to that) I'd really, really appreciate it. We'd love it if we could find a family that would allow us to visit. My daughter had planned on showing him for 4H, so we are pretty upset about having to re-home.

Thank you!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom