Neck broken??

Blueroanpainted

Songster
Dec 2, 2019
Warrensburg, mo
I recently moved my young (11-12 weeks? Silkies out to the barn, and my aunts young but still much larger jersey giant got in with them and shook them up. I visibly watched it jump on one and grab it by the neck. The rest are fine but Honey has been hiding in the coop house ever since and is holding her head to the side when felt, there is a large knot on one side that almost feels like it's either broken or popped out of place? No vets around here take chickens, so that's not really an option for me. How can I tell which it is and is there anything I can do for her? Is it fixable?? Out of off my silkies he had to ding up my favorite...

Poor girl! She may be sore. She may have wry neck from the stress. She may be injured. I’d probably give her a warm, safe, calm environment to rest for a couple days and go from there. Can she eat and drink ok?
She drinks ok as long as I keep it in a low dish, but every time she does she works her mouth for awhile. I don't know if it's because shes been hiding all day, and have not seen her eat.

Can you post a picture or a short video of her to YouTube with a link here? It sounds like she has wry neck (torticolis, crook neck,) which is a neurological symptom of neck or head injury, a vitamin B1 or E deficiency, and is sometimes seen in several diseases, such as Mareks and others. Giving her 400 IU of vitamin E, and some B complex or chick vitamins would be good. Keep her separated if she is getting picked on, and make sure that she gets enough to eat and drink. Mixing some water into her feed in a small bowl and add a little cooked egg to it would be good to feed her several times a day.

I also would inspect her beak to see if something is cracked or sore.

Can you post a picture or a short video of her to YouTube with a link here? It sounds like she has wry neck (torticolis, crook neck,) which is a neurological symptom of neck or head injury, a vitamin B1 or E deficiency, and is sometimes seen in several diseases, such as Mareks and others. Giving her 400 IU of vitamin E, and some B complex or chick vitamins would be good. Keep her separated if she is getting picked on, and make sure that she gets enough to eat and drink. Mixing some water into her feed in a small bowl and add a little cooked egg to it would be good to feed her several times a day.

I also would inspect her beak to see if something is cracked or sore.
Don't know if you can tell but she's kind of keeping it tilted. Moving better now that she's been in the house for a bit but, keeps it tilted to the right . It's just been since the JG got in and started wreaking havock, so fairly sure it's injury related

Attachments

• 20200104_181731.jpg
    20200104_181731.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200104_181740.jpg
    20200104_181740.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom