Neck feathers--lice, mites, stress?

I would put rooster up and I would not allow him to have any kind of contact with his other mates until you see some improvement in your chickens feathers. If you do see an improvement then you might need to deal with him or trade him for a gentler rooster. I had to put up my roosters and a separate holding pen because they were very abusive to the hens... I have a young hen who has been injured due their aggressive horny nature. Good luck.

Is there another remedy? I can't get Sevin here in Canada.. :-/
Can you get permethrin or poultry dust? Lost of folks use plain old woodash from the fireplace for prevention. You can dust the chicken straight and put it in sand and dirt for a dust bath. I save bags all winter for year round use. It may not help a bad infestation though.

I've used the permethrin powder. The rooster is a good rooster, so I have no intention of getting rid of him. I actually don't think he's all to blame. He is having the same feather issues around his neck and nobody is mounting him. I actually think the feather eating/pecking idea could very well be the answer. Otherwise I'm thinking mites/lice, but again, I see no evidence of that and I've already dusted. I'm not sure why they would peck each other because they free range and have plenty of space with no boredom.

If you are not seeing visible signs of bugs .... Hum *scratching head* not really sure if it is external causes. Have u wormed them? What is their diet consisting of....? Moulting can happen to both genders. This may be the cause. I usually give my chickens and roosters calf manna add to their feed during this moulting period. It seems to speed up the process. Buy a vitamin and mineral block for your flock ...This will keep them busy pecking on it instead of each other. also, They will get nutrients for what they are lacking in their diet. I hope this helps. . Also....if you have limited space (to many chickens in an area) ....may need to reduce flock or provide larger space to prevent them from pecking one another at night or day. If they are free range during the day .... Check the evening coop at night.....might be overcrowded. Sorry to brainstorm all these suggestions. Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom