Neck Injury

Sunshine0235

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Lebanon Ohio
Two days ago I found my 11ish week old brahma stuck in the waterer. It was just a standard gallon waterer from the feed store. She was laying next to it, and I had to pry her neck out of the red rim. She was soaked but alive. Her neck was twisted all funny, and she barely had any control of it, and her legs were kind of stiff in front of her. Looks like one of the other chickens tried to commit homicide.

The first day I found her, her neck would flop around a bit, and she just sat there and was sleepy. The next day (yesterday) we started feeding her watered down found(mostly water with a bit of food) through a syringe, which she gladly swallowed. I fed her a couple of times yesterday, and the only improvement I noticed was she was awake most of the time. Overnight she started flapping her wings, trying to move. I had her sitting upright in a planter.

This morning she had a bit more control of her neck, it would sit forwards sometimes, rather than twisted onto her back. But its still a bit out of her control in the forward position. I tried to let her eat by herself, some soggy food, and she manage to jerk her head forward and grab a little by herself. When I got home today, her neck is a little better, it doesnt rest on her back anymore, and is either forwards or to the side, or dropped down. She even managed to get out of the long planter she was sitting upright in, so I moved her to a cardboard box, but she still cant sit up, and is kind of just flopping around the box occasionally.

At first I thought she could have broken something in her neck from trying to get loose from the waterer or that she sprained her neck really badly. She still has feeling in her toes, I gave the a pinch yesterday, and she can wiggle her legs slightly today.

Is there anything else I can do? What are her chances of getting completely better? Do you think its a break or a sprain of something else? She doesnt seem to protest too much when I touch her neck or open her mouth to feed her.

I really want to help her. Should I just continue what Im doing or is there something else I can do to help her.

I have seen that before with an injury - and it took about maybe 2-3 days to go back to normal. Keep up with the supportive care and good job saving her!

(Of course there is always the risk she could have some kind of permanent injury and if you do see that please look up the "let's talk wry neck" thread. Some give vitamins for that.)

Last edited:
I agree with ChickensAreSweet that it could be wry neck (crook neck, torticolis.) Poultry vitamins (including vitamin E) given in the water, and a bit of egg or tuna every day for some selenium would be good. If a vet is possible, they might be able to give her some prednisone or prednisolone, a steroid that can reduce inflammation, and is sometimes used in wry neck. Vet care can be very expensive as you can imagine, especially if they do Xrays and other tests. Here is a good article to read: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Last edited:
Alright I will pick up some tuna tomorrow. Thanks, hopefully she will get better, I would have to have to cull her.

She is doing a bit better today, her head is mostly forward all of the time, but I dont see why the extra little boost wont help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom