Neck Wound: Please advise! (pic might be semi-graphic to some.)

QuackerJackFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri
I was talking to some of my friends about this on another thread.. However, I want to go ahead and post this here to see what other advice I get.

Beaker was attacked today by my adult duck. Beaker is probably a couple months old maybe not quite 3.. almost fully feathered..

So here is the wound: And I would like some advice on how to treat. Also if I can give some baby aspirin for pain? She is clearly hurting.

97743_0852.jpg

I bandaged it with salve and she is sleeping in my kitchen in a dark warm place. I have noticed she is shivering a little. Which I find odd.

Thank you in advance.

It's just amazing to me the amount of damage one duck can cause in literally a matter of minutes. I had JUST checked on them not 5 minutes before this happened.

The shivering may be a reaction to pain, or shock.
It looks like you have done the best you can do...missing skin there.
Keep it covered with the neosporin, a bandage may heal into the skin.
The baby aspirin sounds good.
Good luck!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was afraid of the shivering being a little shock. My poor little Beaker. Anyone know how much aspirin I could give her?

One full strength adult aspirin per gallon of water. I would dissolve it in hot water first then add it to cool water. If you can keep her pain down and apply an antibiotic cream she should be okay. Make sure the antibiotic cream does not contain any pain relievers.

OUCH! In wounds like that for dogs and cats, I've seen gauze, vaseline, and sugar bandages used. Even with all of the specialty salves/burn creams/etc out there, these basic items work the best!! I've seen some pretty ugly cat wounds heal with these bandages and oral antibiotics. I would think if you bandage it, you definitely want to keep the bandage "wet" with some sort of salve, neosporin, vaseline, etc... to keep it from sticking to the open wound. Clean the wound first with very dilute betadine, chlorhexidine, or any other type of disinfectant, avoid hydrogen peroxide if possible. Hopefully, this will help until someone with more duck experience comes to the rescue!

Back
Top Bottom