Need a Vet in Arizona for hen

Rsarah32

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Hi so my puppy for some reason attacked one of my girls I think he just wanted to play unfortunately her leg is now just dangling I am unsure if dislocated or broken I put a temporary splint and separated her she is eating laying just fine I’ve had trouble finding a vet that will see a chicken and have been laughed at when I call does anyone have any suggestions please

I'm sorry about your chick, do the best you can to keep her comfortable.
How awful that the vet's office laughed😔 Try looking up your city/state in the directory linked below.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php

If you are unable to find a vet that will see her, then please let us know. Post some photos of the chick, her leg, age and any other info you may be able to provide for us. We may be able to offer some suggestions.

I'm sorry about your chick, do the best you can to keep her comfortable.
How awful that the vet's office laughed😔 Try looking up your city/state in the directory linked below.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php

If you are unable to find a vet that will see her, then please let us know. Post some photos of the chick, her leg, age and any other info you may be able to provide for us. We may be able to offer some suggestions.
Her Name is Bertha she is a year and a half unfortunately I don’t know here breed i mad a splint with some Qtips she is separate from the other three I had just hatched one of her babies and bought another to keep it company she’s been mothering them and resting

Attachments

• 220A273E-2846-4FCD-976A-E54583207C7D.jpeg
    220A273E-2846-4FCD-976A-E54583207C7D.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 3
Is there a wound too? Any broken skin where the puppy may have grabbed her?

Splinting is good, you will want to check to make sure it's not too tight. I've linked a splinting manual below for you to look at.
If she's in a lot of pain, you can give her 1/2 of an 81mg Aspirin twice a day for 2-3 days. Don't go over the 3 days.

You can also try a chicken sling to place her in for short periods of time through out the day. This is will allow her to stand with support and take the pressure off sitting on her legs all the time. Some chickens will tolerate being placed in a sling, some won't, so you will have to monitor her.

If she eating/drinking ok?
Having the chicks while injured may be ok, but watch that she doesn't get too stressed trying to take care of them. Use your judgement.
I'm sorry that Bertha got hurt, I hope she recovers quickly.

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I know I'm a few weeks behind here, but to answer your question we've had good luck with:

Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic
1911 S Lindsay Rd, Mesa, AZ 85204
Phone: (480) 706-8478

Banfield Lake Pleasant
24640 N Lake Pleasant Pkwy Suite 105, Peoria, AZ 85383
Phone: (623) 773-9056

Both of these facilities have helped us through a lot of issues with our chickens and peafowl, and I hope Bertha is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom