Need advice for a predator proof run

Buy T-posts and hardware cloth plus 2x4 inch wire for the roof. That'll be the strongest easiest way. Lay wire flat on the ground to make an anti dig skirt. Although I agree you'd do well to consider electric. Commercial electric fencers are rated to be safe for a 2 year old child. I raised all my kids with hot wire nearby. They rarely touch it twice lol. :lau
But really, kids learn safety rules.

If you don't want to work with wood, T-posts are your next bet, as stated by previous poster. You could cover over top with 14' wide bird netting, which would put less drag on the perimeter fencing. This will keep them fairly safe during the day. Plan to lock them up in your predator proof coop each and every single night.

Or you could buy electric poultry netting. Check Premier 1. It's pricey, but the good thing is that it will deter even a bear. The only thing it won't keep out would be a weasel. I would still cover over the top with bird netting to keep hawks out. The good thing about the electronet fencing is that you can move it and re-configure your run area so you can move them to fresh grass.

If you could have your Dad come and help you set your posts, and do your horizontals, you could then attach the fencing yourself.

Take a trip to Home Depot or Lowes, and look at the chop saws. Talk to an employee about how easy they are to use. For the novice, who is fearful of handling shop tools, I recommend a chop saw over a skill saw. I was and still consider myself to be a novice, yet, after all the projects I've mentioned, plus a few furniture type projects, and playing with a chain saw, I still have all my fingers and toes.

If you don't want to work with wood, T-posts are your next bet, as stated by previous poster. You could cover over top with 14' wide bird netting, which would put less drag on the perimeter fencing. This will keep them fairly safe during the day. Plan to lock them up in your predator proof coop each and every single night.

Or you could buy electric poultry netting. Check Premier 1. It's pricey, but the good thing is that it will deter even a bear. The only thing it won't keep out would be a weasel. I would still cover over the top with bird netting to keep hawks out. The good thing about the electronet fencing is that you can move it and re-configure your run area so you can move them to fresh grass.

If you could have your Dad come and help you set your posts, and do your horizontals, you could then attach the fencing yourself.

Take a trip to Home Depot or Lowes, and look at the chop saws. Talk to an employee about how easy they are to use. For the novice, who is fearful of handling shop tools, I recommend a chop saw over a skill saw. I was and still consider myself to be a novice, yet, after all the projects I've mentioned, plus a few furniture type projects, and playing with a chain saw, I still have all my fingers and toes.

T posts are a good idea. Although its very rocky here, like boulder rocky. My raised garden bed is all wonky to avoid some big stones in the yard. So I'll have to see how much luck I have digging a trench, if not then I'll have to resort to hardware cloth on the bottom which I know isn't good for chicken feet, so I'm hoping for some clear ground to work on.
I'll look at a chop saw, thanks for the advice!! :) Glad you still have all your fingers and toes. ;)

T posts are a good idea. Although its very rocky here, like boulder rocky. My raised garden bed is all wonky to avoid some big stones in the yard. So I'll have to see how much luck I have digging a trench, if not then I'll have to resort to hardware cloth on the bottom which I know isn't good for chicken feet, so I'm hoping for some clear ground to work on.
I'll look at a chop saw, thanks for the advice!! :) Glad you still have all your fingers and toes. ;)
Skip the trench and you are right, you don't want them walking on wire either.

This is what I mean. I used hardware cloth but heavier wire would be better.
20180424_093634.jpg

Here is a good detailed guide to hoop coops.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/?page=2

Put your skirt on the outside of your run, like shown above. You don't even have to dig it into the ground. Lay it across the lawn (if you have a lawn) and staple it down to the ground with landscaping staples. You will also need to attach it to the fencing of the run. The grass will grow up through it, and in a year or so, the sod will completely cover the hdw. cloth. You will be able to mow over it like it's not even there.

I'm in rocky/boulder country also. My native soil could be described as stones and boulders held together by hard packed clay.

If you build your run in 8' and 12' increments, you won't need to have the horizontal tops and bottoms cut at all. Use 8' posts for your uprights, and leave them long, or ask a wood working friend to lop them off at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom