Need advice for New Coop/Run setup please!

I guess that's one reason I get confused...is always seems to blow a different way?

The wind does blow different ways at different times, but over the long term there will be a prevailing wind. That might change from season to season, but the winter wind is the one to worry about.

For most of the continental US, the prevailing winds have some kind of westerly component to them. If you watch The Weather Channel radar you'll see that storm systems *usually* move west to east across the country.

Sometimes northwest to southeast. Sometimes southwest to northeast. But mostly west to east. On a local level, mountains and valleys may block, funnel, or redirect winds.

Coastal areas often get storms coming in from the ocean to the land -- with some local variation due to regional topography and the effect of ocean currents. Tropical storms are the most likely to come in from odd directions like south or east.

I've been watching my property for 2 years to get a good idea of the wind patterns so don't feel bad about needing time to mindfully observe the conditions on your property. :)

In my specific case I noticed that we always have an uphill breeze in the summer -- flowing north to south by the compass -- but that winter winds come primarily across from either the northwest or the southwest with the occasional "Nor'easter". However, the winds are broken and softened by the way that our house is tucked under the brow of the ridge and sheltered by forest. On a windy winter day I can hear it roaring in the tops of the trees, but it's not that bad down at ground level.

That means that the new coop's clerestory faces uphill to funnel that uphill breeze so that it will keep the coop cool (incidentally catching the southern sun in the winter), and to make the upwind side more solid and put the nest boxes on the downwind side.

Put a flag on your coop and take time to observe how it blows as the seasons change. That will give you the information you need over the long term. :)

Ok so how can you determine the best direction to do your coop/run?
This being an open air coop and me being in such a hot climate with silkies I want to build them a ventilated coop area BEFORE winter within the open air coop. So how can I know which is the best area to do that in within the open air coop?
Put the coop in the middle of the run?

@3KillerBs
storm systems *usually* move west to east across the country.
This! Ok it does normally come from the west...most storms, clouds and all typically are seen coming toward us from that area. Which as far as the open air coop goes would be the completely open backside.
I hate that I didn't put the tarp on the entire thing!
Thank yall for bearing with me as I learn. I am trying I promise!

This! Ok it does normally come from the west...most storms, clouds and all typically are seen coming toward us from that area. Which as far as the open air coop goes would be the completely open backside.
I hate that I didn't put the tarp on the entire thing!
Thank yall for bearing with me as I learn. I am trying I promise!

It's OK -- a little shelter on that vertical wall will break the wind and offer late-day shade.

I personally think that a mix of covered and open space is good because then the chickens can choose what they want.

Remember my winter straw bales -- chickens are short so their wind baffles don't have to be up at our comfortable height. :)

Ok so how can you determine the best direction to do your coop/run?
This being an open air coop and me being in such a hot climate with silkies I want to build them a ventilated coop area BEFORE winter within the open air coop. So how can I know which is the best area to do that in within the open air coop?
I currently have a windsock out by the chicken run, so I can see the direction and strength of winds outside from inside my house (so I know if windows need to be closed). You don't need an actual windsock, a light ribbon or strip of fabric on a stake or pole will give you the same information.

When I was actually setting up my coop, I talked to neighbors who'd lived in the area a long time to find out what they observed as far as storm wind directions, and I set up the coop ventilation according to that. So in my case the south facing wall of my coop is mostly solid to deal with that.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I've never let that stop me before...

I've generally seen these sorts of structures with some sort of opaque roof on the top and the diagonal parts. Most often rigid, but sometimes a tarp. Mostly for the shade but also to help shed rain.

I suspect if you start with tarps that sooner or later you'll want something rigid. But maybe not.

It won't take long for any grassy area within your run to become a wasteland, unless you plan on tractoring that whole thing around a fair bit, is the impression I get. But that's the sort of thing you're likely to discover on your own.

I feel like you might want a kind of short retaining-wall all around either the inside or the outside, partially to keep in litter but mostly to stop the whole thing from taking flight on a windy day.

I don't think you'd strictly need them, but you might want to put up some sort of walls in a corner or two so they can get out of the sun/wind/rain or whatnot. If they can just pop back into the coop whenever they feel like it, that would probably be sufficient.

You're planning on a predator apron, right?
What type of predator apron? We have badgers, unfortunately, so I guess we need to dig down 12” and put hardware cloth horizontally and vertically. Haven’t built our coop yet.

What type of predator apron? We have badgers, unfortunately, so I guess we need to dig down 12” and put hardware cloth horizontally and vertically. Haven’t built our coop yet.

Welcome to BYC. Most people either put in a horizontal apron of 18-24" or they bury it vertically 12-18", not both.

I'm not familiar with badgers, however.

You might want to start your own thread, possibly in the predator forum, to get the best information. :)

Definitely need to see photos.

Mine is oriented to take advantage of the summer breeze that always flows uphill and to vent heat out through the clerestory:

View attachment 2778130
This is fabulous! I have one side like this and have been wracking my brain on what to do with a small old garden spot next to my coop run now existing on a cement slab. Idaho weather is extreme in both summer and winter. Now they could have cement and dirt. Although, they are partly free range in my backyard. They are still pullets 13 weeks so I keep a close eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom