Need Advice on Broody Hen Sitting on Eggs

They will sit tight for a day or two, I put food and water about a foot or so away. The chicks don't need to eat for a day or two. They will come out a bit during the first week. The second week mom stops sitting so much and starts to look for food for them. If nice out I start letting them go out for short excursions under supervision. By week two the chicks should be strong enough to keep up with mom.

I have found how to stop a hen from being broody. I was told by an older man that if you dont want them to sit put them in a cage with food and water but NO access to any nest. After 5-7 days you can let her out into the general population and she will be a normal chicken again. I've tried it and it has worked on several different breeds of chicken.

My anti-nesting box is hanging from the ceiling of my coop with an auto water nipple but any water and food source will work.

Thank you so much Oldhen!!!! Ok, that sounded bad, lol,,, Thank u so much Oldhenlikesdogs, lol
old hen is fine, otherwise OHLD, works too, don't bother me none.
1f601.png

Thanks hhgarris, that's how I break my broodies too. Though my bantam I just block their nestboxes, once one starts they all go. They will continue to be broody on and off all year round. Sometimes I just leave them sitting on nothing.

Thanks hhgarris, I just might have to try that.

OHLD, I see all the other hens walking around the cage the mama is in with her babies. I have 5 BR, 1 leghorn, 1 wyandotte, 3 seabrights, those are the hens, 1 seabright is broody and has been on some eggs for 3 days now, I'm gonna let her go ahead and hatch them out. But now, all the other hens are constantly pecking the cage and walking around it peeking in. You think they are just curious? I don't want all my hens to go broody on me.

Back
Top Bottom