need advice on non-broody bantam hen purchase for Spring

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
Hi folks,
We just lost our girls to a predator this Fall and plan to go through the winter without any chickens. We are looking to get some more in the Spring and wondered if there was a bantam breed that were good layers and not frequently broody. We had 3 Ameracauna bantams, but they were not regular layers and it seemed like we always had somebody who was broody. (Sometimes 2 at a time!)

We love the bantam size. Also, are there any breeds that you can sex at an early age. We got our last girls as 6 month old pullets. I'd loved to get some younger ones, but our City ordinance does not allow any roos.

Any advice would be appreciated. We are really missing our little girls.

Sorry about the loss of your flock. You might want to consider Leghorn bantams, they are usually good layers for bantams and like standard leghorns are non setters. Ideal & Purely Poultry sells them in White if you are looking for a hatchery. I don't know of anyone who sells them sexed. They also offer White Faced Black Spanish in bantam, I've never had them in bantam but the standards are good layers and non-setters also. RIR and Barred Rocks are two others to consider that most hatcheries have in bantam that should be decent layers though they will set.

Back
Top Bottom