Lost one, want to add more...

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
Last week, our beloved Nina died while sitting on the nest. We didn't notice any odd behavior, but things happen. So, we are giving consideration to getting some more. We were told that getting just one (who can do that anyway?) is not a good idea. We were told that it would better to get a minimum of three to add to our existing flock of four. Our girls are probably about two years old. We have the big coop, and we have an 18-foot run. The run is separated by a small door that we close up at night while they roost.

What we are wondering is what would be the best way to introduce some new girls to the mix. The run doesn't really have shelter like the coop. It does have a roof and some places for them to roost, but not a building to be in. No predators can reach in and grab them as the whole thing is covered in two layers of wire. I've used 2x4 welded wire covered by 1/4" hardware cloth. My main concern isn't the security of the coop and run, but the behavior of the existing girls if we add a few more.

I'd love to hear what you all have to say. We are very new to this. It's our first year with chickens.

Get chicks or young pullets around 8 weeks old. Then, when they are feathered out, keep them in an enclosure in the coop for a couple of weeks so they can become familiar with each other. In my experience it works a lot easier when they new chickens are young. The enclosure within the coop keeps it so they can see each other but not harm each other. You also need to consider if you have enough space in both coop and run for more chickens, and how much more it will cost to maintain them.

We have the big coop
How big is that in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would really help here.

My main concern isn't the security of the coop and run, but the behavior of the existing girls if we add a few more.
As it should, that's the biggest consideration.

In my experience it works a lot easier when they new chickens are young.
Mine too, really young.
I prefer to add chicks, with a separate section in coop and run.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Here's some tip's about....
Integration of new chickens into flock.
Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

How big is that in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would really help here.
The coop is 8x10 feet. Here are some photos. The run is 8x18. The photos are a few months old. The run now has a roof over it, and all 2x4 welded wire is also now covered by 1/4" hardware cloth, along with buried hardware cloth. I could feasibly block off the portion under the raised nesting area and keep the new ones in there. They would have plenty of room, They just wouldn't be able to climb up high at night to sleep. It's not cold here, so cold ground is not a concern either at this point.

20230527_200501.jpg

20230526_194049.jpg

20230526_194041.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought how about raising babies under coop? I was thinking you could block that part off somehow. Depending on the weather , your physical ability to kneel down to change water and feed,etc. Would take some brainstorming for sure. I raised my last 4 chicks ( chicken math) in coop under the poop board . I sectioned it off using closet organizer shelves. Hung vertically to block hens out, then I opened a little hole so they could explore but big girls couldn't. They're still mean to them but once the babies start laying all will be well. I like adding chicks every year to keep laying at best. Some here add 1/3 to their flock every year. And when there is a group of newbies instead just one they're not as easy to bully. IMO

Just a thought how about raising babies under coop? I was thinking you could block that part off somehow. Depending on the weather , your physical ability to kneel down to change water and feed,etc. Would take some brainstorming for sure. I raised my last 4 chicks ( chicken math) in coop under the poop board . I sectioned it off using closet organizer shelves. Hung vertically to block hens out, then I opened a little hole so they could explore but big girls couldn't. They're still mean to them but once the babies start laying all will be well. I like adding chicks every year to keep laying at best. Some here add 1/3 to their flock every year. And when there is a group of newbies instead just one they're not as easy to bully. IMO
That is EXACTLY what I was telling my wife a couple hours ago. My plan is to block off that portion underneath their nesting area, and make a door to the outside, so that we could let them out to free range while the others were in the coop, and then switch them after a few hours.

My wife was concerned that they wouldn't have any high place to roost, but I don't think the chickens would care. They would be safe and sound down there in six inches of soft pine shavings, along with food, water, and the occasional treat of scratch and mealworms from us (along with table scraps almost daily). I'm not a chicken whisperer, so do you think them not having any high area to roost is a problem??? I could put them in the big run to "play" but there really isn't any room for a high perch under the nesting area.

My plan is to block off that portion underneath their nesting area, and make a door to the outside, so that we could let them out to free range while the others were in the coop, and then switch them after a few hours.

I would not free range any new birds until they were homed to the coop and run, so plan on them staying in there for a while.

Roosts aren't required in an isolation area.

How old are the new birds you're planning to get? I'd consider chicks instead due to the fact that they're less of a threat (pecking order wise and as disease vectors) to the established birds. If you're getting older birds, do you have a completely separate area to quarantine them? Aart provided the link above.

Are you sure the measurements are correct? The coop does not appear to be 8x10 in relation to the run being 8x18. The coop is the fully enclosed elevated space at the end, not any of the open wire area in front of it, unless the birds are able to use either open or enclosed space to roost at night which would mitigate crowding or pecking order issues. I'm asking because too little space inside the coop can be just as much as issue as not having clutter in the run, if the birds are confined for any period of time.

Forgive me as I often get the nomenclature screwed up. The enclosed space (the elevated coop) is 4x8. I considered the entire house structure (not including the run) as the "coop." Forgive me for misidentifying that. I'm still trying to figure out all these terms to everyone's satisfaction and understanding. The ENTIRE enclosure (not including the run) is 8x10. The run is 8x18.

The girls are able to use the entire structure (minus the run) at night for roosting however they like. They are not locked inside the coop. I hope that makes more sense.

As to how old the new birds are, we haven't decided how to do that yet. We were thinking of getting some new girls from our friend. She has some that are something like eight weeks old. I don't know if that is considered "older" or still chicks.

To the right of the not so straight(sorry) blue line is the coop, to the left is the run.
Basically it's about what the walls are made of, coop walls are generally solid, run walls are made of mesh.
1693343645247.png

Back
Top Bottom