Whether to add new chickens

JulieCB

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Central Virginia
We raised four chicks in spring 2020 and all have happily co-existed. In the last month we have lost our two Buff Orpingtons leaving a RR and Australorp. I am uncertain whether to add additional chickens at this time. From what I've read, integration can be a lengthy process and may be particularly problematic during molting season which we are approaching. My question is whether my remaining chickens are likely feeling lonely at the loss of their flockmates and would benefit from some new company, or whether the new company would make them more unhappy. I'm in Central Virginia and would be adding 8 week old pullets. Our coop is 5'x6' and we have two runs, 8'x16' enclosed and 16'x40' open. They do not free range. Advice welcome.

"Well that is too bad (finding a dead chicken) BUT now we can get chicks!"

If you add two chicks, to two it should not be too bad. What I would and have done very successfully, is to put the chicks in the main coop/run. Letting the older chickens out into your second run? This lets the chicks explore the new area without being chased. At night put them in a dog crate, in the coop. Do this 2-3 days, then in the late afternoon, let the older girls in.

Make sure you have two or three food bowls, situated in different spots, hidden from the main bowl.

Mrs K

"Well that is too bad (finding a dead chicken) BUT now we can get chicks!"

If you add two chicks, to two it should not be too bad. What I would and have done very successfully, is to put the chicks in the main coop/run. Letting the older chickens out into your second run? This lets the chicks explore the new area without being chased. At night put them in a dog crate, in the coop. Do this 2-3 days, then in the late afternoon, let the older girls in.

Make sure you have two or three food bowls, situated in different spots, hidden from the main bowl.

Mrs K
Thank you. Great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom