need advice on using a covering for plywood floor of coop

havent looked at all the replys, but i used cheap linoleum 'scrap' from lowes. ran it up the walls a foot also, so less corners to clean. it cleans easy. I left a trap door on the side of my coop to just push stuff out into the wheelbarrow. EZ PZ.

I used a rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes (Blackjack #57). If it can stand up to all kinds of weather extremes protecting a roof, taking care of a coop floor is nothing to this stuff. Unlike vinyl or linoleum, which can break down over time and allow moisture to get in between it and your wood floor. This roofcoat bonds, and actually becomes part of the floor. It seals all the gaps and joints of the floor, along with the joint/gap where the walls meet the floor. To apply, stir well, and just dump a big dollop on the floor and push it around with a roller. I've had this stuff down in my coop for over three years, and it looks the same as the day I applied it.
Jack
Hey Jack, this stuff looks great. Ive read through all the posts, and I would love to see a pick of the blackjack floor if you have one. We have our nesting boxes in, and it would be difficult to go around the 2 x4's holding them up. So I think your Blk Jk #57 would be perfect. Although hopefully it doesn't melt down here in TX, with our constant 100+ summer days. Thanks

We used an Elastomeric Roof Coating seal our floor and use the deep litter method. Nothing sticks to the floor and it's very easy to clean out.

You will spend a small fortune on garage floor epoxy. We looked at it, and most of the ones out there are meant to be used on concrete, not wood. The stuff you can put on wood was way too pricey for my blood. That's why we opted for the roof coating. It is waterproof, is non-toxic and deals well with the fecal matter. It's also slightly fibrous, so even if they kick all the litter out of the way, there's no risk of a slick surface causing leg problems. The photo above shows while we were doing it. We've been using it for a while, now, and it's been wonderful.

If you notice, in the center of the floor of this coop, they managed to get the litter away from the floor. When I went in to clean it up, it brushed right up with the rake-broom I was using. The coop's changed a bit as they've grown and has "real" roosts in it and all, now; but, that floor has been easy to keep clean. I'm continuing to use it in the rest of our build out.

Also, keep an eye on your chicken behaviour. If you have six large fowl in a 4x4 coop, they may feel crowded.

Is this the same stuff that can be used to seal the top of an old camper from leaking? We used this white stuff on our
old winnebago camper cuz the roof was developing leaks. I have this stuff left over, and it is my freezer right now. Been in there for three or so years.
That would be great if I can re-purpose use this elasomeric roof coating!

Just got home from Lowes with my 5 gallons of Blackjack 57 for the coop floor. I was going to apply it today, but the directions say apply when the temperature is between 70 - 110. But I may have to cheat a bit. It is only supposed to be in the 50's the next few days with rain coming on Wednesday. I have the coop framed out, and was going to do the trusses and plywood roof today, but I'm beat from working yesterday. I want to get at least 1 coat (they recommend 2 coats) down before the rain since my floor is OSB.

Jack, you used Blackjack 57. What was the temp when you put it down? Think if I put it down with temps in the 50's it will hurt?

im new to the chicken thing an iv just finished my coop bit didnt cover my ply wood,is it necessary to do so, i have put straw down ,but didnt know i should cover the wood

oh OK ,i guess that makes sense,i guess i best look for something cheep ,thanks
roll.png

is there a difference in shavings,i have heard not to use wood shavings form like a wood shop,its best to but them from feed store ,they are a lot bigger shavings an not as fine but can any one tell me what the difference is,an how often should i change them out

Last edited:
The reason you should not use shop shavings is because you don't know what kind of wood it might be. Cedar shaving give off fumes that can harm chickens respiratory systems. I imagine some other woods could be harmful, too. The ones you buy at a feed store or Tractor Supply will be pine shavings. Spot change areas if they get wet. Change the shavings once they smell bad, especially if you start to smell ammonia...another respiratory foe for chickens. If you sprinkle some Sweet PDZ into the shavings, that will help keep them dry and absorb the ammonia in the chicken waste...and other odors as well. Sweet PDZ is used in horse stalls, but it can be used with any livestock. Tractor supply sells a 25lb bag for $9.99. They also make a 40lb bag. Use the granular, not the powder.

Last edited:
I love the open design and am putting in lots of hardware cloth for protection and ventilation too. Do you have a problem with rain and snow blowing into the large front window? I noticed you have windows on the top openings. I was going to put a large screened window in the east facing wall which is away from the N and NW prevailing winds. Should I add a glass or plexiglass window right off the bat? There is a 1 ft overhang here, but slopes from east to west so not sure how much protection that will afford. We've got the run with hardware cloth, the roof and supports done and are now working on the walls of the coop. Been getting good ideas for the floor. We're using left over maple flooring to build the walls and floor of the coop.
I'll agree with you that chickens don't need any added heat in the winter. But, you DO NOT want to close up the coop tight. Fresh air/ventilation is just as important, if not more so, in the winter. My coop is proof of that. The front is wide open year round, and the chickens thrive . No heat, No insulation (Except for what the birds already have), No problems.
Jack

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom