need advice on using a covering for plywood floor of coop

We are planning on trying the Henry's this weekend. Taking longer than we expected to get the coop and run done. I will update on how it turns out.

I was going to use a roll-on/brush-on truck bed liner product... until I came here to BYC to see if anyone else had that idea... Wow, what an eye opener!
ep.gif

5 gallons of that colored rubberized polyurethane product was going to cost ~$380.00 (the LEAST expensive of the whole group I researched, plus shipping and handling!) and the only thing it has over the Blackjack #57 is that it's available in various different colors! Even had I gone with basic black and no color, 5 gallons would have cost $365.00 I think I'll save myself probably close to $350.00 and run down to the local Lowes and get the Blackjack #57 http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-6080-9-30_0__?productId=3043257! Based on the testimony of @JackE and others who have followed his lead,
bow.gif
I think it will probably outlast the coops themselves!
clap.gif

I can't imagine a product intended for outside application in direct sunlight and temps from sub zero to >100, and rain/hail freezing will have ANY problems being used INSIDE away from the extreme weather, and only being subjected to some 10 pound chickens scratching at it through a deep litter system! I intend to extend it up the walls at least a foot. If it runs, so what? The idea is to seal the wood and this stuff BONDS to the wood, unlike paint! The wall coating doesn't need to be thick as it will have no traffic on it.

I don't want to do or expect to do daily, weekly or even monthly cleanings! I expect to just keep adding fresh litter and change out (a portion of) the deep litter maybe annually (or semi-annually if it seems it's needed). As it grows in depth, I want a SEAMLESS coating of protection that extends up the walls from the floor. I may even take a small amount and mix sand in with it to paint the roosts and such for traction.
Thanks all for your input and I'm awful glad I came here to save all that $$! I don't mind spending fifty bucks for this as opposed to even a free piece of linoleum...
hide.gif
So much easier and longer lasting, not to mention care-free!

thank you I got everything I needed to day so you used a squeegee will it be ok to put the little girls back in the chicken house they are 3weeks old I wonder if a paint roller will work

This stuff is really thick so I don't think an paint roller will work.

I used a paint roller. A broom or even a board would likely work, anything capable of spreading the thick/gooey mess out semi-evenly (the broom or whatever you use will be ruined afterwards).

The stuff shrinks down fast and most of the lines/ripples disappear, just make sure not to miss any sections of the floor.

FYI it is working out great here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom