Need advice re:coop and broody hen (pix in post)

I'd just make sure to put water and food where she can get to it easily and not have to fight the other hens for it. As long as they can see her but not touch her they should be fine. Once the chicks are hatched she'll do a pretty good job of protecting them. Just keep an eye on them. Good luck!!

I have similar, but not quite the same situations, going on here.

1. Coop flock - broody hen is in THE favorite nesting box. After she screamed and screeched for about an hour and a half, the other girls FINALLY got the message NOT to lay in her box. (They use to do that when she would get up to go get food/drink. She refused to leave after the last scream session.) I bring her food a few times a day.

She is about two feet above the floor of the coop. I wondered about how the baby chicks will get down, so I asked the previous coop owner if she had ever had to deal with that specific issue. She asked her husband and he said, "Just put the chicks on the ground." So AFTER the babies are born, I will gently place them on the ground. It probably won't take the baby chicks too long to figure out and be able to walk the ramp up and down from the nesting box.

2. Barn flock - broody hen has been forced out of her nesting box multiple times in the last month. She is sad, moves to another nesting box, and starts over. She's lasted up to 4 days before being forced out. Yesterday, she was forced out and she moved to a new nesting box and started over. I put up a door block to keep the other girls from bothering her. They took it down/knocked it down and again forced her out. So Isa moved to another nesting box and started over. AGAIN. I can't stop the "bullies" (there's a story behind their behavior - it's not her they are after - they play a game) so out of desperation and sadness for Isa, I took down a shoe box, put her eggs in it, grabbed a newly laid egg, picked up Isa, and brought her into the house. I placed her eggs on the sand in a small dog carrier and let her run around the sunroom. She drank water, explored, and eventually settled in to sit on the eggs. It appears that she has pushed 3 eggs out from under her and has selected the 10 eggs she wants to hatch out.

When she hatches out the chicks, she will stay in the sunroom for a bit longer with them. I will set up a kennel fence and make a small, shaded, protected run for her and chicks adjacent to the pasture she's use to. I may even set up a small kennel in the barn coop for her and babies.

Note - I have all roosting bars/spaces on one level in every building. Period. In the barn coop, where Isa is from, everyone is pretty much on even social status. It shouldn't be too hard to integrate her and her baby chicks.

** Is your girl completely covering all of her eggs? Is she moving the eggs around and moving herself around on the eggs during the day/evening? Is she eating/drinking?

If this was my situation, since you have a protected area, keep her and her eggs in it. Make sure there is good ventilation and provide some water and some food to her. If this doesn't seem to be working, bring her back into the house, let the chicks hatch, and then keep a barrier between her/the others for a short period of time. Things will change (pecking order) some anyways due to your girl being focused on her babies and not her social status. Have faith. Keep an eye on things. :)

Last edited:
I have similar, but not quite the same situations, going on here.

1. Coop flock - broody hen is in THE favorite nesting box. After she screamed and screeched for about an hour and a half, the other girls FINALLY got the message NOT to lay in her box. (They use to do that when she would get up to go get food/drink. She refused to leave after the last scream session.) I bring her food a few times a day.

She is about two feet above the floor of the coop. I wondered about how the baby chicks will get down, so I asked the previous coop owner if she had ever had to deal with that specific issue. She asked her husband and he said, "Just put the chicks on the ground." So AFTER the babies are born, I will gently place them on the ground. It probably won't take the baby chicks too long to figure out and be able to walk the ramp up and down from the nesting box.

2. Barn flock - broody hen has been forced out of her nesting box multiple times in the last month. She is sad, moves to another nesting box, and starts over. She's lasted up to 4 days before being forced out. Yesterday, she was forced out and she moved to a new nesting box and started over. I put up a door block to keep the other girls from bothering her. They took it down/knocked it down and again forced her out. So Isa moved to another nesting box and started over. AGAIN. I can't stop the "bullies" (there's a story behind their behavior - it's not her they are after - they play a game) so out of desperation and sadness for Isa, I took down a shoe box, put her eggs in it, grabbed a newly laid egg, picked up Isa, and brought her into the house. I placed her eggs on the sand in a small dog carrier and let her run around the sunroom. She drank water, explored, and eventually settled in to sit on the eggs. It appears that she has pushed 3 eggs out from under her and has selected the 10 eggs she wants to hatch out.

When she hatches out the chicks, she will stay in the sunroom for a bit longer with them. I will set up a kennel fence and make a small, shaded, protected run for her and chicks adjacent to the pasture she's use to. I may even set up a small kennel in the barn coop for her and babies.

Note - I have all roosting bars/spaces on one level in every building. Period. In the barn coop, where Isa is from, everyone is pretty much on even social status. It shouldn't be too hard to integrate her and her baby chicks.

** Is your girl completely covering all of her eggs? Is she moving the eggs around and moving herself around on the eggs during the day/evening? Is she eating/drinking?

If this was my situation, since you have a protected area, keep her and her eggs in it. Make sure there is good ventilation and provide some water and some food to her. If this doesn't seem to be working, bring her back into the house, let the chicks hatch, and then keep a barrier between her/the others for a short period of time. Things will change (pecking order) some anyways due to your girl being focused on her babies and not her social status. Have faith. Keep an eye on things. :)
Yes she is covering all of the eggs. We started with 15, she broke 3 and I removed 2 that didn't have anything in it. We are down to 10 and it is much easier to cover. With 15 there was always 1-2 sticking out. She has food, we keep it simple, it is the chicken starter. I am putting up the water where I had it before since noone is sitting above it now.
She has not come off the nest yet. In the house it was easier to keep an eye on her. Last night I left the basket on top of her since she was sleeping anyay. I removed it this morning but she has not walked around yet.
I think she was happier in the kitchen since she didn't have to worry about the nest and food and she had space to run around and scratch. She didn't spend more than 5 minutes off the nest even then. I don't want to cover her up to restrict her but I will for the night so she is protected in the morning before I let everyone out.

Last edited:
@as110 - that sounds like great news! Please keep up updated!

With Isa, I have a rag that covers the opening of the dog carrier (door is removed for easy entry/exit.) Once I get her night mate out (Baby), then I fold part of the rag back so Isa can see out but still has privacy. The windows are open, so she hears roosters and ducks outside. There is a sand box in there so she can dust herself if she would like to.

I have noticed that the broody hens tend to have a hard time in the coop, initially, getting started. Once they are willing to stay in the nesting box full time, things settle down and there's less fighting and damaged eggs. My gals seem to choose the popular/favorite nesting boxes.

She got up and dusted in the sun. Initially some of the hens bothered her but she found a good spot to dust bathe and the rest of them joined. I see there are only a few hens that she is avoiding. They must know their order. She is back on the nest now and I blocked it off. Water food is ready and I will put a sand box in there. The hiding place for chickies is done. I will put it in when I change the bedding to wood shavings when they hatch.
Exciting.

Back
Top Bottom