Need advise quickly

Can you post a pic?
Ok, here are a few pics. He was peeping loudly non stop all day in the incubator, so I put him in a separate brooder. I tried putting him in with the four others, and they antagonized him endlessly. (although he put up some good defense.) So I ran to the Big R and got another light and set him up. His peeping is heartbreakingly LOUD and constant, because he knows the other are here. I just gave him a stuffed animal, as I don't know what else to do.
Besides the foot problem, he has a dark colored distended abdomen-like pot belly. I surely don't know whats up with that. I cleaned his bottom real good. I have not seen him defaecate as of yet. Could he be full of that?
The foot. Observing him hopping around in the brooder, I almost think the problem is in his hip. Like it might be out of joint. He more hops, then it drags behind him. When resting, it just hangs behind. Although highly spirited, pecking at crumbles, and making lots of noise, I have a bad feeling about him. He just now settled down, after hours of madness over the others, and is softly peeping in his sleep. (Pain?)
Any input would be appreciated.

Is he able to walk or does he drag the leg? I'll do a little research and see what I can find.

He may be peeping cuz he's lonely. Maybe a mirror?

Is he able to walk or does he drag the leg? I'll do a little research and see what I can find.

He may be peeping cuz he's lonely. Maybe a mirror?

It's kind of a cross between a hop and a limp. It's his right leg, and it does kind of drag behind him.
I dug in the grandkids toy box, and unbelievably came up with a stuffed yellow Easter Peep. (like the candy) He's snuggled next to it right now, occasionally giving it a good peck trying to wake it up I think. They're so darn cute...these real peeps!
jumpy.gif

Well done, I meant to get back on last night and see how it was going...so how many of the eggs actually hatched out? Pasty butt can kill a chick, if its all clean, just watch for droppings. You saved his little life! yay.....how is the foot now?
Yup, I feel pretty proud of my amatuer self.
yesss.gif
Out of 8 eggs, I have 5 chicks. I opened the other 3, and they were dead of course, but it looked like they all three had maybe a couple of days worth of yolk sac left. It was really sad to see. Why do they just die like that, and some live on so late in the incubation process? And thanks so much for checking back with me. I just posted pictures of his gimpy leg. I think it might be in the hip. He hops/drags it. The others were all over him like dinner....although he put up a good defense. so I had to set up a seperate brooder for him. His loud chirping is insane though, and they all are in my office. Yikes!

I have some chicken eggs that are just starting to pip, day 25 in the incubator. One hatched day 23, two on day 24 and four are just starting to pip and one is hatching now. My new incubator had a few nights at 98 degrees, must have slowed the progress. Three healthy chick's so far!

I know leg issues can be difficult to fix. They are also up against the clock - especially with new chicks. If you don't fix it soon the chick may be permanently disabled. Try looking into splayed leg and see if that resembles what you have. Then you may want to bind the legs with a bandaid or vet wrap. If you do watch that you don't cut off circulation. Also check this often. The chick will grow quickly and even if circulation is good when you first put it on it may cut off later. Hopefully when you put this one the chick will be able to walk (or waddle really).

seems like a real fighter, but sadly nature takes care of itself, he may not make it...the leg is one thing, but the stomach is another thing...not sure, I have not dealt with that. I am thinking, from all I have read, the dead chicks can be caused by humidity, temps dropping etc. I have had broody hens lose chicks too...go figure, they should be doing it right huh?

I have one week yet to go with mine, I am anxious to see what happens now...I will keep this post and let you know how I fair...I have 18.....all still moving as of yesterday....

Yes, check into spradle leg, I think I have seen people splint the legs, but yes, must be done now while young. You can also check with The Chicken Chick (google her if you don't know who she is) she seems to have good advice, if not, can direct you somewhere....good luck!!

How interested is he in food/water? If it is omphalitis I do not believe there is a specific cure. I believe mortality is very high. BUT if he is eating and drinking well and you are willing to try you could give Poli Vi Sol. I would also give Save A Chick, Pedialite, or NutriDrench. But if you are giving vitamins do not give medicated feed because it will interfere with absorption. All of these will help with the slipped tendon as well. Also keep the belly clean. Try an antiseptic on the outer area. You could also check at your feed store for antibiotics. As for the slipped tendon...do you think knee or hip? I just had one recently that I was able to correct that had a slipped knee tendon. I posted my notes in the members page or search chick can't walk. It was just last week. If you can't find it let me know. I gave step by step instructions of what worked for me. Prayers and love your way. Keep us updated.

Just an update on my gimpy little chick. I went to bed last night thinking that I would have to splint his little legs....then amazingly....this morning his leg looked pret'near normal. No more dragging, no more hopping...and falling

over. He was actually walking almost normal. By the time I got home from work...you can't hardly tell he ever had a problem. Must have been just kinked up from being stuck in that shell. I'm so pleased....as I was rather frightened about doing that splinting procedure. Tomorrow I will try to introduce him back in with the others while I'm home to observe. Hope they accept him....
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom