Need clean watering ideas

nluoma

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
S.E. Michigan
I'm at my wits end with the watering and need some advice/help.

I'm using one of those 5-gallon waterers that are basically a bottle upside down with a tray at the bottom right now. If I put it on the ground, my chickens seem to fill the waterer up with shavings or sand within five minutes of our cleaning and filling it. Right now it's not too big a problem, as the the kids are out of school and can check a few times a day to make sure they have water.
If I hang it, they perch on it until they tip it over, or fill it with droppings (which is worse than the shavings or sand, I'm sure).
The only thing that seems to work is to put the waterer on the grass. However, I can't let my bantams free range due to the local wildlife (so far we've lost a few due to hawks, raccoons, and a fox.) And, before too long it's going to be too cold to leave water out in the open.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep their water clean? I did try creating a nipple waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket, but they continually knocked the lid off and perched on the edge filling the bucket up with droppings. I'm new to chickens, so I'm sure there is a good way to make sure they have clean water all the time!
Thanks

Can you hang your 5 gallon nipple waterer? I hung mine from a iron hanging planter hook screwed into the wall. The hanger blocks the girls from sitting on the lid. You can get a lid for about $3 at a hardware store. I also saw someone put a wire hanging planter basket (the kind you line with peat moss) upside down over the top of their 5 gallon bucket nipple waterer. Looked beautiful and the chickens couldn't perch on it.

This works for us, just hang the nipple bucket from a chain. You will have to make a spacer on the inside of the bucket to keep it round.

I used a piece of 1/2 inch all thread with a piece of pvc over it, Then you can attach the chain to the all thread on the out side.

Nipples all the way, Hang your and get a lid that will snap in place just drill a vent hole in the lid or the side of the top of the bucket. On the lid to make it easier to get off you can cut off half of the locking tabs. I hang one of mine from the top of the tractor with a length of dog chain..

My main setup is a 55 gallon rain barrel running to 4 nipples.

Hanging 5 gallon Bucket with Nipple.

Back
Top Bottom