Need Coyote help

Great pics! Where I live I see them from a distance, but they have never bothered my free range chickens. Mostly troubles with racoons and possums. Thanks!

I don't know much about coyotes, but I know they are territorial like wolves are, maybe get some recordings of coyote calls, coyotes don't like to go to another coyote's territory, so if you have the calls playing, they may be less inclined to come to your property. It works with wolves.

That is not a coyote it is a young red wolf , i have seen him as well as his parents comming to one of our ponds for a very long time, they are very rare and they are safe here on our place, i hear coyotes once in a while but have never seen them, only the wolves.

I am inclined to agree with zazouse, I have seen (and hunted) 1000's of coyotes in my day and that doesn't look like one, legs are too long, head is shaped differently from a coyote. Nice pics though, game cams have come a long way.

I've seen one red wolf, it was one of those reintroduced to the Outer Banks and was in a preserve near Nags Head--they are the size of our Eastern coyote. They are, I believe, a protected species having been pushed out by civilization, bounties, grey wolves and eastern coyotes for most of their range in the NE. I also think someone in Maine or NH, if memory serves me correctly, shot one thinking it was a coyote and ended up paying a hefty fine when DNA results showed otherwise.

Quote:
I was reading a study not long ago the gov seems to think there never was a red wolf it is merely the offspring of a grey wolf and a yote the dna test they have used to check this seems to support this I will try to find the study in the next day or so

Quote:
I am wondering if this is not what I am going to have to do
sad.png
. I love letting the horses out at night as it keeps thier coats from getting sunbleached. But I doubt that the chickens are to happy being couped all day now. They are use to being free ranged from sun up till they go to bed and we close them in at night. But since they have been locked up in jail for the last week we saw the Coyote two days first day we were already outside so by the time hubby got inside got his rife and out she was gone. Next day we just happened to look outside and she was walking away from the barn he got his rife but as he went to take his shot she shot under the fence and ran. POO

Concerning getting guard dogs, unless its a very large breed, you need two dogs, coyotes can pack and will gang up on a single dog. A male and a female pair is prefered, males will occasionally fall for a female coyote in heat, and get lured to his demise, won't happen if theres a girl with him.

I have seen several neighbors loose dogs to coyotes.

The other thing is coyotes are a highly intelligent and adaptable animal ( thats why they are in Florida, New Jersey and other non native habitat ) so they can and will act differently in different parts of the country. They are true survivors and just amaze me how they can adapt to differnent biospheres.

If your trying to hunt them a wounded rabbit call is very effective ( if you don't know how to use it buy a tape ), even better is a spoiled dead rabbit with the call. If you have access to a spot light ( like on a 4 wheeler truck or a old cop car ) thats even better. I never had much luck with a shotgun as they are very wary and I prefer a .223 or there abouts to hunt them.

Heres a couple of quotes from Wikipedia:

" At one location in Southern California, coyotes began relying on a colony of feral cats as a food source. Over time, the coyotes killed most of the cats, and then continued to eat the cat food placed daily at the colony site by citizens who were maintaining the cat colony.[59] Coyotes attack smaller or similar sized dogs, and they have been known to attack even large, powerful breeds like the Rottweiler in exceptional cases.[73] Dogs larger than coyotes are generally able to drive them off, and have been known to kill coyotes. Smaller breeds are more likely to suffer injury or death."

" Coyotes typically grow to up to 30–34 in (76–86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12–16 in (30–41 cm), stand about 23–26 in (58–66 cm) at the shoulder and, on average, weigh from 15–46 lb (6.8–21 kg) .[5][13] Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies, with the largest coyotes on record weighing 74¾ pounds (33.7 kg) and measuring over five feet in total length"

"Though coyotes have been observed to travel in large groups, they primarily hunt in pairs. Typical packs consist of six closely related adults, yearlings and young. Coyote packs are generally smaller than wolf packs and associations between individuals are less stable,[20] thus making their social behavior more in line with that of the dingo"

The other hard part about them is the range they cover, its over 10 miles from their burrows and nests.

Coyotes are a tough preditor, and where there is one there are more thats for sure.

Their natural preditors are Mt Lions and Wolves but I doubt thats going to help unless you want one of them to guard your coop:
D.gif
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom