Need help/advice for goose not eating and wobbly

Just re-read your tread and see that you have amoxicillin 250mg. How many do you have?

-Kathy
Full unopened bottle. I bought it when I thought I had a duck with bumblefoot. Turned out to be a sprain and I didn't need it. Diamond is drinking, just very little. I just looked into her cage and saw her drinking so she is still doing that (I can see her from my window while at my computer which allows me to monitor all day long from in the house).

How warm is her cage?

-Kathy

That depends on where she is in it. It's a hoop house (6'x11'). The front and 2' into it it's open. The remaining 9' is completely covered with a thick tarp to protect from rain and wind. The back is solid wood and in the very back is a 2-1/2' area with a wood floor with some straw down on it and can be closed off for confinement (the front part of the confinement area is fence wire + chicken wire). This is where I keep her at night so she's not with the rest of the flock when everyone gets closed off for evening predator protection. I have a bale of straw split on both sides of the inner door so she can bed down behind them away from drafts. For a goose with a down coat it's actually pretty warm all considering. She does go back there on her own from time to time but prefers to be out in the larger area so she can see the rest of the flock. Since I can't see her when she goes into the inner cage I go out and check on her when she's in there to make sure she is ok.

I wish I could send a picture, but I no longer have a camera.

If you can picture this on the symbols below: The left "|" is the solid wooden back, "s" is the straw bales, the next "|" is the inner wall of chicken wire, from the far left to the "t" is covered in a tarp, the very right "|"is the front. The doors to the main house and inner house are in the center where the top of the hoop is 7' tall. Water and feeder are hanging to keep them off the ground.

back |__s|_____t_| front

Hope that helps.

I'm in NW Arkansas. Current temp is 58 degrees. Should reach 61 today with a nighttime low of 53. Will remain in the mid 60's through the week but will get down to 41 as a nighttime low on Friday morning. Todays weather is also drizzly rain but not windy.

Might be too cold for her... She's been sick and not eating for at least 6 or 7 days?

-Kathy
We're going on day 10 now. Ate some on Saturday and a nibble here and there. But for all practical purposes not eating for a very long time. I'm beyond the worry stage now. I just returned from the feed store where I picked up the Safe-guard fenbendazole. It's for equine 25 gram paste 10% (100mg/g). Now I just need to know how much to give her. They also had a 60cc catheter tip syringe that will fit my tubing if I am able to tube feed her. It's all they had available. If I had to start tubing tonight I need some ideas of what to give her otherwise it will be tomorrow when I can pick up the baby bird formula from Petsmart.

Currently she is in the confinement area in the house nestled in the straw behind the straw bales. If need be I can run a heat lamp out there.

Oh how I wish there was a vet in the area that treated birds. I have already spent $150 on stuff to help treat her. These up and down days are also frustrating me as each day is different. One day she seems better, next day worse, then better, then worse. I feel like we are on a roller coaster. She's walking fine again today and I've already seen her drinking the new updated Corid water. I've yet to see her eat though.

Quote: Once properly hydrated I would give her Safeguard paste at 0.23ml per pound orally for five days, but I would only do this if I knew she was properly hydrated. The 60ml syringe is what I use and I would start by giving her 10ml per pound of gatorade or pedialyte now, then again in 60-90 minutes and one more time in a few hours as long as her crop was clearing.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom