Need help figuring out protein percentage

jsuhre

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
I started making my own feed but I don't think I have enough protein. Can someone tell me what my protein percentage is in my feed. I am mixing 40% wheat 30% corn 15% oats and 15% sunflower. I am getting 1200# of feed at a time. I would like to be around 16 or 17% protein. If my protein percent isn't high enough what can I add and how much to improve my feed quality?

Wheat:
Wheat is commonly used as a major source of energy in many countries. Wheat is higher in protein than
corn or other small grains. However wheat is limited to 30% inclusion unless you add enzymes for
digestion. Lysine should also be added as wheat is low in this amino acid. For proper digestion of
wheat you should add Xylanase Enzyme, following manufacturer’s directions.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

Are you going for a vegetarian feed or is animal protein an option?

One easy way sticking to vegetarian is to reduce corn and add in soy... For example, based on previous protein numbers by matt44644...

38% wheat (12.5%)
20% corn (8%)
10% soybean meal (45%)
15% oats (14%)
15% sunflower (26.3)
2% Yeast culture like Diamond V (12%) **

Comes out to about 17% protein...

** I would personally consider adding in a yeast culture to get a vitamin booster in there, Diamond V for example fits that bill...

I'm not calling or even suggesting the above is a balanced diet, nor am I calling it complete, but it's not a bad starting point (based on what you are already doing) IMO...

What would be a good protein-rich substitute for soy if one wants to avoid GMO products? I was reading some labels and I saw some companies use peas. Any other suggestions?

[COLOR=8B4513]What would be a good protein-rich substitute for soy if one wants to avoid GMO products? I was reading some labels and I saw some companies use peas.  Any other suggestions?[/COLOR]

Soy meal is the gold standard, bang for buck...

Nutritional Brewers Yeast 50%
Cottonseed meal 41%
Hemp Seeds 33%
Peanuts 26%
Brewers/Distiller dried fermented grains 25%
Peas 24%

Or you go into animal proteins...

Last edited:
i agree as meepbeep says Soy meal is the gold standard, bang for buck...

At my local bulk store the dehulled hemp seeds are $10.69/lb $$$$.
Cottonseed is a high chance GMO product.
IMO if one is trying to avoid GMO buy organic.
sunflower protein% should be about 14%

Sunflower seed kernels, dried
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)​
Energy 2,445 kJ (584 kcal)
Carbohydrates

20 g
Sugars 2.62 g
Dietary fiber 8.6 g
Fat

51.46 g
Saturated 4.455 g
Monounsaturated 18.528 g
Polyunsaturated 23.137 g
Protein

20.78 g
20.78 grams of protein . 4 calories per gram of protein=83.12 divide by total calories 584=.1423%x 100 =14.23%

Last edited:
You can't do the math you did above and get the percentage of protein, as that 584 total calories is derived from the carbohydrates, fat and protein combined not just the protein...

Instead it's much easier, the serving size is 100g and that serving contains 20.78g of protein, thus it's 20.78% protein...

If you use sunflower meal it should be closer to 32%

Last edited:
I based it on this.
In all foods and meals, the calories come from the energy-producing nutrients, protein, carbohydrate, fat, and alcohol, present in the food. To determine the percent of calories from each of the energy nutrients, you must know the total calories and grams of the nutrients in a given amount of food. To find the percent from protein, know that every gram of protein contributes 4 calories. To calculate the percent, use this equation: (Given calories/ Total calories) x 100. For instance, if a food contains 200 calories and 8 grams of protein, then (32 calories / 200 calories) X 100 = 16% and so protein contributes 16 percent of that food's total calories. On Calorie Count, this information is depicted visually as a pie chart and a bar graph, and numerically in the Nutrition Report.
http://caloriecount.about.com/determine-percent-protein-food-q21014

Back
Top Bottom