Need help figuring out what breed of ducks I have.

I'm almost positive I have 2 males and 1 female!
Then you need to get rid of the drake and get 5 more females so that you have a 3-4 females to male ratio. Even if you do have to get rid of one of the males then you will still need 3 more females. Or you could just get rid of the girl and have just males....but that would mean no eggs....

Then you need to get rid of the drake and get 5 more females so that you have a 3-4 females to male ratio. Even if you do have to get rid of one of the males then you will still need 3 more females. Or you could just get rid of the girl and have just males....but that would mean no eggs....
Not trying to sound niave here but why? Like I said I'm new to all of this and need any help possible!

You do not need anymore females and you do not need to get rid of a drake. A single drake can be fine with any number of females, even 1. Lots of people like to keep a pair of ducks and it works fine, so does 1 drake and 2 hens. Problems can start when you have 2 drakes, then you should have 3-5 drakes per hen to stop over mating. But problems are not even guaranteed then, I actually have more drakes than I have hens this year and I had no problems. The problems will start when there are multiple drakes who do not have a mate, that will not be a problem if you have 1 drake.

Difference between mallards and rouens is the number of eye stripes, mallards have 1 while rouens have two. You can decide how many stripes they have, they kinda look like mallards to me or possible mixed, I see only one main stripe.
Here is my rouen hen-
38457888_659161734460248_2694563650017951744_n.jpg

She could be, it depends on how the drakes act, I thought you said 2 hens and a drake. I have had a 2:1 ratio before and my hens had no problem but those were just very friendly drakes. I had 2 drakes that were best buds and would fight off the other drakes together and would never overmate the hens, if one mated then the other would not mate. Hopefully the same thing happens with your drakes, if not you will need to rehome one or get at least 2 more hens.

Wait and see how they turn out before you do anything though, unless you wanted to get more hens now which would not hurt. You might not have to get rid of him. I would suggest more hens though because there is really no reason not to.

Back
Top Bottom