Need help identifying seven chicks

darkhorse22

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
We got a mixed bunch from the feed store. They got them from Privett. They are all doing very well and seem to be happy but I have no idea what any of them are. I don't really need to know but I am trying to figure it out just for the fun of it.

These ones were typical white/yellow chicks, but when their wing feathers started coming in they are a brownish/gray color so I'm wondering if they are Deleware or something like that with black on their wings/tails.

This one has brown on its head and along its wings.

I think this one is a barred rock or something similar.

These ones are silver and black. The lighting makes them look like they have a cream color but they don't. They are shy.

These ones were typical brown chicks, so I don't know what type they will become. Two are the same and one is lighter in color.

This is the lighter one with a red spot on the tip of its beak. It is very friendly and will happily sit in your hand.

This is what the two darker ones look like. They also have red on their beaks but it's a lot lighter. They are a bit more skittish.

These ones are very inquisitive and always run to the cage door whenever I open it. They have creamy colored bellies and white faces.

These are the smallest of the chicks (maybe a bantam?). They have brown heads and their wing feathers are coming in a tan color.

Any ideas?

What makes you think the barred one is a male? These guys are all about 2 weeks old.

This is the first time for us doing laying chickens. We have only done meat birds before.

There's a good thread on sexing barred rocks around here somewhere. Females have small, tight headspots, and a wash of dark color down the front of the legs. Females also have one barring gene, so they're more black than white.
Males have large, messy, ill-defined headspots, no dark on the legs, and have two barring genes that lead to more white than black.

I'm seeing no dark on the legs, the headspot is large and irregular, and there's a LOT of white on those wings.

You should be able to tell for certain around 6 weeks when the feather in. It will be interesting to see if I'm right!

1) Leftmost one looks male, not sure about others. Reason: crest development. The rightmost one has its tail perked like a lot of males start doing at a young age but so do many hens, so not much weight to that.

2) Female, I think. Reason: no crest development to speak of and evenly feathered wings, with the primaries, secondaries and other feathers all keeping pace with eachother rather than secondaries outgrowing the rest. This is only true of females for some breeds though. In general females feather faster and more cohesively whereas males often feather slower and with some feather groups growing out before others.

3 & 4) Males, I reckon. More crest development, messier and washed out colors. However #3, if it's a barred rock, could be female, as they tend to have development more along the lines of commercial layer breeds with decent sized crests on females as well as males. The others under #4 look male to me too but it is early days yet.

5) Leftmost one looks sick. (Squinting, drooping wings, low head, hunched, crouching). Looks female too but a delay of development occurs during illness or injury. Other two, hard to tell from that pic, reason being their faces are turned away so crests are not obvious.

6) Leftmost looks male to me. The other I'm not sure about but possibly female. The leftmost one is up on the tiptoes of both feet. That's not normal and can indicate a problem either present or coming.

7) Looks female. I don't see anything about these indicating male.

But with all of them it's still early days so we'll see. Best wishes with your little flock. ;)

Your #7 chicks look like gold lakenvelders, which if females should be good white egg layers. I would recommend messing with them alot, so they don't end up too flighty.

#3 looks like a barred rock male

#4 might be blue andalusians which are like the lakenvelders and lay white eggs and should be messed with alot.

Last edited:
We got a mixed bunch from the feed store. They got them from Privett. They are all doing very well and seem to be happy but I have no idea what any of them are. I don't really need to know but I am trying to figure it out just for the fun of it.

These ones were typical white/yellow chicks, but when their wing feathers started coming in they are a brownish/gray color so I'm wondering if they are Deleware or something like that with black on their wings/tails.
I agree, these look like Delawares.

This one has brown on its head and along its wings.
Silver-Laced Wyandotte

I think this one is a barred rock or something similar.
Barred Rock (likely male)

These ones are silver and black. The lighting makes them look like they have a cream color but they don't. They are shy.
Blue Andalusian

These ones were typical brown chicks, so I don't know what type they will become. Two are the same and one is lighter in color.
Rhode Island Reds or Production Reds

This is the lighter one with a red spot on the tip of its beak. It is very friendly and will happily sit in your hand.
Probably just a lighter Rhode Island Red, or a New Hampshire Red (very cute!)

This is what the two darker ones look like. They also have red on their beaks but it's a lot lighter. They are a bit more skittish.

These ones are very inquisitive and always run to the cage door whenever I open it. They have creamy colored bellies and white faces.

I'm not sure what these chicks are.

These are the smallest of the chicks (maybe a bantam?). They have brown heads and their wing feathers are coming in a tan color.
Golden Lakenvelder or Sebright Bantams (does Privett Hatchery sell these?)

Any ideas?

5) Leftmost one looks sick. (Squinting, drooping wings, low head, hunched, crouching). Looks female too but a delay of development occurs during illness or injury. Other two, hard to tell from that pic, reason being their faces are turned away so crests are not obvious.

This one was actually falling asleep when I was taking the picture. That's why it looks sick.
smile.png
Yep, it is seriously that laid back. I hope it's a girl.

Thanks for all your guesses. I will update in a few weeks when they get a bit bigger and we'll see if they still look the same.

Oh, and I see what you are saying about the barred rock being a male. I went by the feed store and was looking at some of the chicks that are still there and you can see a difference in the barred chicks. I wish I would have known that when we were picking them. Another reason to read the forums here first.

I'll be keen to see updates in a few weeks. :D Good opportunity to practice sexing. I've only ever sexed mongrels, though, which gets very, very random. Strange your chick just drops off on its feet, lol! Mine always laid down first. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom