Need Help Identifying Sex for JG and JG Banyard Mix

down-home Dave

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Twentynine Palms, CA
Hello, and thank you for looking. I'm having difficulty sexing my young chicks. Sometimes I think they are all pullets, sometimes I think there might be a couple cockerels in there, occasionally I think they may be all cockerels and I get real religious. This may be due in part by the fact that I want all layers, and just culled off my year old rooster. So I have a series of pics that hopefully will be helpful in seeing what I see, and I will comment on what I think.

Above are my 2 white JG. (JG roo over JG hen) In the face they look a lot like my current JG hens, so I think hen. However the tail is shorter and sorta looks like a curved feather or two starting to come in. 1 was born on April 3rd, 1 on April 14th. They look the same and are going through the same stages (about 10 days apart.) So I'm sure they are the same gender, just not sure male or female 100%. I do remember that my young JG roo looked a lot like a hen last year, but looked different than his sisters, so I thought he was a roo. It's also kinda hard for me to distinguish hackle feathers because of the coloring. Ideas?

Okay the one above I am about 75% is a cockerel. This is a JG roo over EE hen cross, again born on 3rd of April. He has a reddish comb with 3 rows. The hackle feathers look pointed to me. Although the tail sticks out tall and straight I can make out a feather or two that are starting to look curved. Ideas?

Above I have 2 JG roo over Welsummer hen cross, again hatched on April 3rd. They both like identical, other than slightly different colored feathers. Both 99% black. They have small combs and waddles, they have long, straight, tall tail feathers with no curving that I notice. They do sorta look like they have pointy hackle feathers to me. I think hen for both. I love the way these look, too. Ideas?

Again, please let me know if you see something different than I do. I am not experienced in this, as the chicks I got last year were sexed. All 5 of these hatched out here so I'm just trying to piece things together. I love the JG breed so I hope these are more hens. I love all of my chickens just so we are on the same page. Also the coloring of the 3 black ones are so cool, too. I don't want to deal with a rooster right now, so If I positively identify any as such they are getting rehomed or culled.

Oh also no obvious signs of aggression. No crowing. I did notice the EE extend his wing when I was out trying to get pics, but I don't know if that was a display or not. Sorta looked like stretching, but I don't know if chickens do that. Thank you all for reading my mini novel. Please ask any and all questions, etc. Again, thanks for looking even if you don't have a comment.

Last edited:
Hello, and thank you for looking. I'm having difficulty sexing my young chicks. Sometimes I think they are all pullets, sometimes I think there might be a couple cockerels in there, occasionally I think they may be all cockerels and I get real religious. This may be due in part by the fact that I want all layers, and just culled off my year old rooster. So I have a series of pics that hopefully will be helpful in seeing what I see, and I will comment on what I think.

cockerel

I can just see the top of that pink comb, cockerel.

Above are my 2 white JG. (JG roo over JG hen) In the face they look a lot like my current JG hens, so I think hen. However the tail is shorter and sorta looks like a curved feather or two starting to come in. 1 was born on April 3rd, 1 on April 14th. They look the same and are going through the same stages (about 10 days apart.) So I'm sure they are the same gender, just not sure male or female 100%. I do remember that my young JG roo looked a lot like a hen last year, but looked different than his sisters, so I thought he was a roo. It's also kinda hard for me to distinguish hackle feathers because of the coloring. Ideas?

Cockerel

Okay the one above I am about 75% is a cockerel. This is a JG roo over EE hen cross, again born on 3rd of April. He has a reddish comb with 3 rows. The hackle feathers look pointed to me. Although the tail sticks out tall and straight I can make out a feather or two that are starting to look curved. Ideas?

Pullets

Pullet

Above I have 2 JG roo over Welsummer hen cross, again hatched on April 3rd. They both like identical, other than slightly different colored feathers. Both 99% black. They have small combs and waddles, they have long, straight, tall tail feathers with no curving that I notice. They do sorta look like they have pointy hackle feathers to me. I think hen for both. I love the way these look, too. Ideas?

Again, please let me know if you see something different than I do. I am not experienced in this, as the chicks I got last year were sexed. All 5 of these hatched out here so I'm just trying to piece things together. I love the JG breed so I hope these are more hens. I love all of my chickens just so we are on the same page. Also the coloring of the 3 black ones are so cool, too. I don't want to deal with a rooster right now, so If I positively identify any as such they are getting rehomed or culled.

Oh also no obvious signs of aggression. No crowing. I did notice the EE extend his wing when I was out trying to get pics, but I don't know if that was a display or not. Sorta looked like stretching, but I don't know if chickens do that. Thank you all for reading my mini novel. Please ask any and all questions, etc. Again, thanks for looking even if you don't have a comment.
Pointy hackles and saddle feathers won't be visible until after 10 weeks old. Any bird with a bright pink comb before 10 weeks old is a cockerel. Sorry, but pullets won't start turning red until they are close to laying age, usually around 14 to 18 weeks old.

Thank you so much for the quick response. I had noticed the pink on the JG too, but didn't know if that was a hard fast rule. That pic of the JG above looks almost identical to my current hens. I was trying to be optimistic.

Sorry about the face shot for the younger JG, but you can see it between the welsummer crosses above.

Thanks for the info concerning age for the hackle/ saddle feathers, too.

Pointy hackles and saddle feathers won't be visible until after 10 weeks old. Any bird with a bright pink comb before 10 weeks old is a cockerel. Sorry, but pullets won't start turning red until they are close to laying age, usually around 14 to 18 weeks old.
I agree with these guesses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom