Need help/input on sand arguement

Critter Crazy wrote: i dont use any type of grit at all. All my birds free range, and get their own grit from the ground. I have never had any problems. Even with my chicks, they free range as well, and have done just fine.

Our flock forages our two acres and they still come into the barn and peck at the grit occasionally. It depends on your property. 50# of grit from our local feed store costs $6 in June of 2006 and I just purchased the second bag two weeks ago for the same price. It probably would have lasted longer, except the cat scratched at the bag and some poured out. (darn cat!) Grit is inexpensive and I think it is better to provide it so you don't have problems down the road.​

Concrete sand is made from crushed sand stone first it is blasted then crushed then recrushed to a smaller size. There is nothing in it that will hurt chickens It is 100% natural. It may have some limestone it it as well but it will not hurt chickens I seem them pecking away out in the drive way all the time.

Now some sands have tested postive for the following arsenic, asbestos, and tremolite.

Some play sands come from the same source as concrete sand but it is washed and screen and some times chemicaly bleached not always but some times. Read the warning on the side of a play sand bag.

lively Bee's :

Concrete sand is made from crushed sand stone first it is blasted then crushed then recrushed to a smaller size. There is nothing in it that will hurt chickens It is 100% natural. It may have some limestone it it as well but it will not hurt chickens I seem them pecking away out in the drive way all the time.

Now some sands have tested postive for the following arsenic, asbestos, and tremolite.

Some play sands come from the same source as concrete sand but it is washed and screen and some times chemicaly bleached not always but some times. Read the warning on the side of a play sand bag.

Lively Bee - Thanks for that information. That is good to know!​

Back
Top Bottom