Need help - left the crop in the bird and cooked it...

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
So, I finally got brave and processed a few older hens and our ridiculously mean rooster last weekend. My mom came by this week and was quite happy to take a bird to cook up. She has now simmered the bird to where the meat falls off the bone and just texted me that she has found the crop with all it's grain and grass in the pot. :eek: Is the meat and broth still acceptable to eat? Now I know to double check I got everything out that I needed to :th

Ok, I double checked and it was all still intact between the meat and the skin so it hadn't opened up or anything. But... yeah :(

lots of people have done that....most eat the meat anyway. The crop isn't like the intestines, anyway cooking kills the germs.
True, and yep the intestines would be a far different story!

From a health standpoint it should be fine. There is nothing poisonous there. It could affect the taste but I don't know how much. I think it comes down to the YUK! Factor, how much does the thought bother you.

She said it was still all packaged up, so likely fine. As for the yuk factor... I'm really not sure it makes it any worse than knowing it's my hen, I'm still a bit unsure about eating my own birds 😬

Back
Top Bottom