Need Help!!!! Mites infestation!

I would ask your vet about egg withdrawal while using the revolution. It may not be necessary to pitch them. If you choose something like Ivermectin, I believe the withdrawal period is 2 weeks.

Any ivermectin based products.....7 days (though we have never stopped eating the eggs ourselves, just stopped selling them and we have had no ill effects).

Poultry shield and DE are chemical free and therefore no withdrawal at all.

The Revolution works great and really fast.....I waited until the girls had gone to roost and pulled them off one by one and put small drops, 1 each on neck, under each wing, and underneath their vents. They say there is no egg withdrawal, so we ate the eggs and we are all still here. :D
These things are all a part of chicken keeping but don't fret....they are easily fixed and your birds are not filthy. Bugs are a natural part of life even though they are gross! :sick
I always feel nervous about this stuff until I see how easy it is to solve. The joy and wonder I get from my flock far outweighs these little bumps in the chicken road. :yiipchick
Good luck to you and your flock!

My local vet.never called me back.My daughter gets all her meds for her dog.through petmeds.com.I asked her to order the revolution for me.she gets a email from them today.they would not sell to her.they had contacted her vet,(same vet I called on the revolution).I was forsed to order from austraila.

Hello! ... Is dealing with mites going to be an on going thing?
Should I bath all the birds?? And wash down the cage?

I don't think I want to keep my chickens if they are going to be a harbor for filth and diseases! I am really freaking out!! Advice is needed desperately!
The mites in question are either red fowl mites, northern chicken mites or some other species of poultry mite. Taken together they form what is called "chicken mites" and chickens being chickens, chickens are the perfect host for chicken mites. So yes "chicken" mites are sometimes found on chickens along with feathers and other things that must be dealt with from time to time.

Now don't start hyperventilating or go postal on me and mow down your birds, put the weapon down and slowly back away.
hide.gif
They are chickens and being chickens is something that your chickens can not change. Besides there are few diseases and parasites that chickens are prey to about which you or I need to concern ourselves. Chickens come equipped by nature with an oil gland at the root of their tail and the secretions from this oil gland is what they use to make themselves pretty. So why on God's green Earth would someone want to wash their chickens in soap and water thus removing the natural oils that Mother Nature created?

A little Permethrin‎ (6 - 10 mg) insecticide mixed in two quarts of used motor oil makes a dandy paint to brush on roost and dab on cracks in coops to kill and discourage mites from feasting on your chickens. Because most "chicken" mites only feed on the bird at night and hide in Hole-in-the-Wall cracks and crannies during the day Permethrin and used motor oil is the perfect way to "Head those mites off at the pass before they can beat a hasty retreat to their daytime hideout or ambush your birds on the roost. And Permethrin is so safe that even if you spray it directly on your birds I have yet to see any recommendations calling for you to discard the eggs that were laid by a newly treated flock.

Last edited:
even though I used sevin I noticed when my birds went to roost.they would start scratching.DH painted their roost board with usesd motor oil.they were not scratching last night.

I would ask your vet about egg withdrawal while using the revolution. It may not be necessary to pitch them. If you choose something like Ivermectin, I believe the withdrawal period is 2 weeks.
The egg withdrawal period for Permethrin is zero days. So the new green math says that 14 days
without eggs is better than zero, zip, nada egg less days.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Any ivermectin based products.....7 days (though we have never stopped eating the eggs ourselves, just stopped selling them and we have had no ill effects).

Poultry shield and DE are chemical free and therefore no withdrawal at all.
So after I sprinkle DE I can still eat their eggs? I don't have mites but just bought DE for the first time to keep things clean and help prevent mites and other yucky bugs!

The egg withdrawal period for Permethrin is zero days. So the new green math says that 14 days without eggs is better than zero, zip, nada egg less days. :barnie
Considering this has already been stated several times since I made this post, I don't see why you feel it necessary to quote it, say it again and use annoyed smilies. But, whatever. Someone always has to beat that dead horse, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom