Need help my hens aren't laying

zeprulz

Hatching
Jan 20, 2017
My hens aren't laying eggs I have five hens that I got from a lady I brought them home 2 weeks ago and I get only one egg aday what is going on I put a light in the coupe still no improvement the hens are 8 months old

Hi and welcome to BYC. It could be that they are taking a while to get used to their new surroundings. Personally, I'd hold off on using lights for now, at least.

give them food that helps them lay eggs like hen scratch
D.gif

My hens aren't laying eggs I have five hens that I got from a lady I brought them home 2 weeks ago and I get only one egg aday what is going on I put a light in the coupe still no improvement the hens are 8 months old
welcome-byc.gif

As mentioned previously, it may just be that they're adjusting to their new home. I've had hens take several weeks to start laying again, just from being relocated from one coop to another. I'd give them some time. At this time of year, adding light (if you do it properly) isn't going to help any. The days are already getting longer, so they'll likely start laying for you soon.

You didn't say how old your chickens are, but my almost 2 year olds haven't been laying consistently for the past couple of months. They just came out of a molt plus the days are short. Things should start picking up though. Yesterday I did get 2 eggs.

Moving to a new place takes time for adjustment.
How are you applying the light?
Lighting won't likely help this time of year and won't overcome the stress of moving, may in fact add to it.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

give them food that helps them lay eggs like hen scratch
Scratch does not 'help them lay'.
A balanced diet is needed.

I'm sorry the chickens were born spring of 2016

What breed are they? Are their combs red now as opposed to a paler red or pinkish red? My spring chicks were hatched late last spring and they only recently started laying. A very few still need to start.
Give them a nourishing balanced diet and once they are settled in, they should start laying.

Back
Top Bottom