Need help...putting my hen down

I heard this is the best way, I'm just terrified I'd mess it up and simply injure the poor thing.

I was worried about that too, but it was very simple. You know you're done pulling when you feel a *pop*. Just keep pulling until you do.

*Noted - it does take a fair bit of force, but it takes much less than a second to complete.​

now with that all said
why did you not try and bring the egg that is stuck inside her up in the vent.
Take eye dropper fill with olive oil and insert it on both sides of the vent so there is ample oil in and around the egg
now take and come up from behind the vent where the egg is and bring the egg forward
and
take a needle and break the shell and use something to suck out the yolk and white and then with a large twizzers pull out the egg shell
then she would have gotten all right

then put a couple more eye droppers of oil in the vent.

well there is the situation you need to deal with
sorry for your loss

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Glenda,
I'm not sure it is egg bound.
Her abdomen is quite distended and soft.
I cannot feel anything hard in there.
When I do press anywhere she flinches wildly.
I can even imagine how she'd react to poking around inside.
I will feel around again tonight to see if maybe there is something I missed.
someone else on another thread suggested to me that it could be some form of cancer.

Roger

If the two methods suggested don't sound like something that's doeable for you, I have another alternative. I raise rabbits and when there is one that's older and having health issues I can't fix I use the dry ice method. I take a styrofoam cooler big enough for the animal, put the dry ice in a plastic container with a big hole in the lid... pour warm water in the container and close the lid on the cooler to prime the enclosurer before putting the animal in... after a short time open and it should be full of the vapor... place animal in and shut lid to cooler... check in two minutes and voila'... they have peacefully gone. It's not as smelly as the starter fluid and not as hands on as the dislocation method.
wink.png

It may seem cruel but for me, it is the fastest for both the bird and myself. Tree stump and a sharp axe. It is over so fast and relatively painless. I have never had one yell or make any noise.

I cannot drown them, break their necks or stick them in a bucket with ether. Those are slow methods and not fail proof. the idea is to end suffering, not add to it. Do what you feel is best for you and your bird.

I am sorry you have to deal with this issue.

My next thought is she does have a cancerous growth in the vent area into the back
old egg layers get this
it is a yellow hard growt and she has a lot of ranchy smelling fluid built up in her gut
she will not live for much longer
but you have to decide what you can do to end the situation
I am with the ax and sharp fast action
but them I have done it for many decades
much success to your plight

I checked online for ascites and the symptoms are certainly there but the causes do not factor in for my chickens but certainly either way it is fatal.

The idea of a cancerous growth is becoming more realistic and I believe I'll give her one more night then tomorrow I'll relieve her of this misery.

I'll probably go with giving her neck a quick pull to sever the spinal cord. It'll be touch but it has to be done...

thanks all.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom