Need help...putting my hen down

Sorry you had to do this, I dread when I will have to.

I was told a method that seems somewhat peaceful although i've never tried it so i'm just relaying what i heard. take some dry ice, put it in an icechest , pour hot water over it, close the lid, then get your chicken, put it in the ice chest, close the lid and leave it for 5 minutes.
They basically go to sleep. Anyone tried this? I like that it's a non blood method but am curious if they struggle or just go to sleep and dont really suffer?

Nancy

So sorry rogerf. I'm glad it was quick. That's easier on everyone.
For future reference, there is a fantastic tool you can find on ebay UK. It's called a dispatcher. This one is for chicks. They have larger models for adult birds. It crushes the neck, no blood. It's very humane and not too hard on the human either.
6711_000_1509.jpg

I TRIED THE ETHER AND ITS INHUMANE IN MY OPINION...I COULD NO BEAR TO HEAR THE THRASHING FOR AIR. USE A QUICKER AND MORE MERCIFUL METHOD.

I had to cull a 4 week old chick with a severe crossed beak. I had tried to trim, had been hand feeding some but she was starving and the others were picking. I used a pair of pretty sharp hand pruning sheers, probably did much the same as the 'dispatcher' tool shown above. It was very fast, and hopefully relatively painless, but you have to be prepared for the flopping and flapping after - that's disconcerting if you haven't done this before. It's the right thing to do, harder on you than on the chicken (maybe - I suppose we'd have to defer to the chicken's opinion on that one). I never heard the sock idea before; I held my chicken till she was calm and settled, and did it quick. She was my friendliest, probably because she was so hungry. That was a little tough. But the sock, I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks for the discussion here, never easy on those who actually care.

Back
Top Bottom