Need help!! Rooster skinned hen's back with spur

jlbpooh

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 14, 2007
Catawba, SC
I have a hen that had some feathers missing on her back. It was nothing bad, but her skin was exposed. My rooster mounted her, and cut her skin with his spur. There is about a 2 inch by 3 inch part of her skin has peeled away and bunched up exposing her muscles. It looks like she was skinned, literally. It is not bleeding or anything. I have separated her so no one can mount her again and no one can pick at it. Is there anything I can do for her to help this heal? I realize she will not be able to regrow feathers in this area since there is no skin left. Does she have a chance at this healing OK? Please help.

I know that someone on here sells chicken saddles, it protects them from this.
big_smile.png

Cleanse the wound, stitch it up with needle and thread, apply Neosporin and then srpray with Furall (a yellow anticaterial spray that can be bought at feed store). The furall helps it dry and helps prevent flies and picking. Keep her separated till she heals. I've sewn up many, many hens whose backs got ripped open by the roos, especially after they lost their back feathers to them. Now they all wear chicken saddles so I haven't had to sew up a hen since.

p.s. I doubt the skin is missing - it's just ripped open and then a huge gash appears but the skin can be pulled back together and sewn up.

Here's a thread I posted pics and "how to" steps on:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129651&p=2

Good luck.

Monique "Ruth"

I would use a hacksaw and cut off his spurs so he can't hurt the hens as badly. I read about that here on this forum but can't remember who has a nice thread on it how to go about doing it. It's what I plan on doing when mine grow spurs. PLUS getting saddles on top of that. Ordering mine from Mags here on the forum. There are many who sell them here. Just do a search on saddles. Good luck!
big_smile.png

In all of my cases, the roos didn't have their spurs yet and still ripped open the hens' backs. They climb on and hold on with their claws and the skin rips easily, especially once the feathers have all gotten pulled out. Chicken saddles are a real necessity.

Thank you for the input. I quarantined her last night as soon as I noticed it. I put the Blu-Kote on, which she didn't like. I did not try to stitch it back together because I was afraid that it had been open for a few hours already, and I didn't want to get any extra "stuff" trapped in there. There were already feathers stuck in the area as well. I will keep applying the Blu-Kote, and keep her separate until her feathers grow in. We have had good luck rounding the spurs off with the Dremel tool, but haven't gotten it done for awhile. I will have to work on that this week as well.

Quote:
Go to your local fabric store and get you a piece of felt. Cut it to fit the back of your hen with 2 holes for the wings to fit through. For less than a buck you will have a saddle that will protect her back. If you find out that your roo will cut the felt, line the outside of the felt with duct tape. And reinstall it on your hen. This works great and it's a very inexpensive solution.

She REALLY needs to be sewed back up. Just use warm water to wash it out. Apply Betadine from the pharmacy or walmart. Sew her up...and the skin will stretch. Have someone hold her while you sew it up...and if you don't think you can, pretend it is fabric you're sewing. Apply scarlet oil for the next week. You can get scarlet oil from your feed supply store.

Back
Top Bottom