Need help! WIld 20+ ducks keep getting in the coop daily

OKAY, here is the weekends duck progress: the trapper quoted $650 which is VERY reasonable. So we are going to keep that in mind. My avian vet who also told me the ducks are responsible for making the chickens sick suggested relocating them. Muscovy ducks are an invasive species though here in Florida and I hate to spread any disease.

We talked to the neighbor who is responsible and where the ducks live. She is playing the blame game by pointing fingers at everyone else in the neighborhood are feeding them...I hate having to be peaceful with neighbors because there is a lot more that I would LOVE to say to her.

I told her that I don't mind having ducks, when we move I plan to get ducks...but SHE needed to let mother nature take its course on the lake by not protecting/feeding them when they were born. None of them were picked off by predators so 27 baby ducks is the result... otherwise we wouldn't be dealing with this.

She told us that she will take care of the situation. She and the neighbor two doors down have decided they want to do the dirty work and to eat them. So they are not going to waste. She is confident that if they have any disease it will be killed when she is cooking them.

As for the chickens, aside from the pox, they are also sneezing, my serama roo is hoarse, and some have watery eyes. I had them all on electrolytes and vitamins and now switched the entire flock on an antibiotic to help that and prevent a secondary infection.

My serama, showgirls, and silkie all had the poxine booster as chicks and are not showing signs. They are at the age where they need the full poxine vaccine now and I was scared it would get to them. I was told that I can give the flock members the vaccine who are not showing signs to prevent them from catching it. So I overnighted it and am expecting it to arrive today. This will be my first time doing this. Fingers crossed LOL.

Lesson learned. I will always vaccinate now. It isn't worth seeing this happen. Someone had told me fowl pox "isn't bad"...I don't think she loves her chickens the way I love mine though.

...NOW if we could only learn how to wipe out the mosquito species all would be well ;-P

Shoot them with a pelet gun your problems gone and you have dinner
1f44d.png

I am giving the neighbors one week and then it will be duck season in our yard...I just have to check out to make sure we won't get in trouble for shooting with houses so close by.

That's disgusting. Why would you say something like that.

They're going to end up as fertiliser one way or the other, unless the bodies are incinerated and the ashes buried in landfill. Probably more so if they're fed to lions. Zoos generate a lot of manure, and have the space to compost it and the grazing areas to use the composted manure on.

Every thing in life is choices.  You can't avoid making choices.  The same is true in this case.  You can chose to keep chickens or you can choose to baby sit and feed someone else's quackers.  The good news is that you get to make the choice about which course of action you want to follow.
You can also choose to eat dinner LOL!

They will most likely be food if the neighbor follos through. I would sneak and relocate them but from everything I read that they will come back. Still may be worth a try.

Either way, they are going. We have a trapping quote. Talked to the neighbors to see if they handle the situation like they said they would. I will give them one week to figure this out.

Now my favorite hen was either picked on or has pox. I was planning to vaccinate her but now I can't :-( Her poor eye looks terrible. I keep spraying it with Vetericyn.

The vet told me that the mosquito can give it to the ducks, It may not effect them like it does chickens but if they drink from their water then the chickens can catch it. It may be a coincidence that the respiratory issues and now pox have began after the ducks all started coming into the yard.

Either way i'm not chancing it.

If anyone lives in sunny Florida and wants to come get some free food, let me know. They are all yours!

Back
Top Bottom