Need help with a chick that has an unabsorbed yolk- with pictures

Update 2 (and more help needed!): We cut the chord attaching the chick to the gunk/shell both had dried. I put antibiotic ointment on its navel and it healed nicely (See the before and after photos). However, It's been thirteen hours since hatching and it still hasn't walked, can't even really stand. Its feet are thrust in front of it and whenever I try to help it, the chick can't seem to support its weight on its legs. See the photos below for more of an idea... It can lift its head, but usually lays its head on the towel. Otherwise, its eyes are open, it responds to us, and it's fluffy and alert and the peeping has become stronger since last night. But now I'm afraid the chick is a cripple. Can anyone help with trying to diagnose and fix this problem?

Before and after photos of the navel:

Different views of the chick's posture (Does it seem like there is something wrong with its left foot?):

Last edited:
I am a first time hatcher so my opinions are just as such. But one of mine did the same thing. Now he/she has several friends to play with and is up moving around. I have noticed that no two hatches are the same.. we have had 5 so far and all are different in some way shape or form.

you baby is adorable by the way.

Seems normal to me. They all do this for the first hours after hatching. They use so much energy in getting out of the egg, and since this one had a hard time anyways he might be tired. Give him some time. Mine did this too, I had to physcially help them out of the egg, not enough humidity in the incubator.

There is nothing wrong with the chicks vent area. As the others said that was just hatching gunk, which is completely normal.

However, your chicks legs and feet are a problem. The feet themselves are twisted, the toes are curled, and the legs are pushed out wrong at the hip. If it was just one thing, you could splint the chick and hope for the best. But, this is honestly to much to fix. I suggest putting it down, as it will never be able to live a normal life. (Leg problems usually stem from being in the egg to long, or improper humidity.)

We didn't have to take the eggs from the hen until this chick had already pipped, and it was on time for hatching. Bad genetics, perhaps?

I'm definitely going to try some physical therapy, I've put so much effort into this hatch-gone-wrong that I don't want to give up now. I think the toes of the left foot are curled? I'll try the bandage trick. Here's a close-up of the feet.

i agree you've put too much work into this little guy to give up now... at this stage you have a pretty good chance of helping him even if he won't be completely normal. and because he's so young he probably won't be doing much running around yet so work with him before he really perks up... Good luck!!

Last edited:
He has begun to stumble about a little, and the toes on his left foot aren't as curled anymore, but I tried the bandaid method to straighten them. I don't think I got his toes far enough apart- should I try to re-do it or just take it off?

Last edited:
I'm rooting for this little guy! Your bandaid is good, but keep an eye on it. Chicks have a magic ability to get bandaids off somehow. I ended up cutting out a little styrofoam platform for my chick with curled toes, and used medical tape to tape his toes to it. I got a lot of distressed cheeping (boy he didn't like his boots), but his toes were magically straight within a day.

I would also suggest feeding the chick Save A Chic via a dropper, as curled toes are sometimes a vitamin deficiency. Once you get his toes straightened out, you can look into correcting his stance.

Update: The chick is doing great! I put a thread hobble on him last night, but that only lasted a few hours, he really didn't like it. I re-did the bandaid and kept it on until today. I also did a lot of hands-on physical therapy with him- supporting him as he stood, helping him take three steps at a time, holding him upside down and gently pressing against the bottom of his feet so he would push back. His toes look great, his stance is great, and he runs around all over the place. He has two younger hatch-mates so far, which makes me really happy considering all that has happened.

Back
Top Bottom