Need help with chicken limping

pinecone33

Chirping
Aug 1, 2022
Västra Götaland Sverige
So, last night I got some news about a chicken that’s not part of my flock being hurt, apparently she had stepped on something sharp and under her leg she has a wound. Her wound has been washed since and coated with Vaseline before she was handed over to me so there’s no bleeding right now but she limps when she walks. When I brought her home I tried to quarantine her but she noticed my flock nearby and kept standing by them and looking at them, she ran out of the quarantine space even though I prepared water and food and lots of soft sawdust and the weather is fine in there. She can run and fly even with that leg if she needs to (she flew away when I tried to catch her at first) but now she’s free ranging in the garden with the rest of my flock. She keeps limping when she walks but she is eating grass and the little snow that’s left from winter like the rest of my flock is doing, and she’s exploring the new space. So far she is doing regular chicken things but the reason I came here is because I wanted to make sure there isn’t something I missed ? Does this look alright to any of you guys or is there something else you think I should check?

Edit: I managed to take a picture of the thing that’s making her limp, does anyone know what it could be?

second edit: she is now separated from the flock and she has her own space. I’ll be nearby most of the time to check on her and get her the treatment she needs hopefully she will be alright.
1677602647078.jpeg

Attachments

• 25C0A59A-C340-462F-A342-AABF8A40AF5E.jpeg
    25C0A59A-C340-462F-A342-AABF8A40AF5E.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It looks like she has bumblefoot, but it is not on the fatty part of the foot pad, but beside it. I would probably just soak her feet in water with Epsom salts (magnesium citrate,) or use a disinfectant such as Betadine povidone iodine or similar. Warm soapy water is good as well if you apply some chlorhexidene or iodine after. A good treatment that some use is to make a paste with iodine and sugar, and apply it as a dressing to the foot for 2-3 days, and then replace it. Below is a good video on applying a dressing to the foot. If an abscess occurs, you may need to open the scab and squeeze out any infection.

Hopefully, the chicken does not have anything contagious. It is best to quarantine new birds for several weeks to watch for symptoms of respiratory disease, look them over for lice or mites, and possibly worm them.

It looks like she has bumblefoot, but it is not on the fatty part of the foot pad, but beside it. I would probably just soak her feet in water with Epsom salts (magnesium citrate,) or use a disinfectant such as Betadine povidone iodine or similar. Warm soapy water is good as well if you apply some chlorhexidene or iodine after. A good treatment that some use is to make a paste with iodine and sugar, and apply it as a dressing to the foot for 2-3 days, and then replace it. Below is a good video on applying a dressing to the foot. If an abscess occurs, you may need to open the scab and squeeze out any infection.

Hopefully, the chicken does not have anything contagious. It is best to quarantine new birds for several weeks to watch for symptoms of respiratory disease, look them over for lice or mites, and possibly worm them.

Thank you so much for your reply. I ended up soaking her feet in warm soapy water and then adding chlorhexidene but I will order Epsom salts online. As I wait for that I guess I’ll do the soapy water and Chlorhexidene treatment. I ended up quarantining her so she’ll be in the extra living room we don’t use until she’s good enough to go back home. (She won’t be all over the place but have her own little space there.)

But how long will it take until she’s better? Also I managed to find a lady at the pharmacy who has pure iodine but I don’t know how to mix that with the sugar for a hen specifically is there a recipe for that or?

It is just 10% povidone iodine and sugar, not really an exact mix. You could mix it on the gauze pad or in a small cup, and put that in the pad. There are many ways to treat bumblefoot. I have always done the surgery if it was needed, and if there was no limping or redness, I would just watch it. Here is a good article on bumblefoot and shows the surgical method:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

It is just 10% povidone iodine and sugar, not really an exact mix. You could mix it on the gauze pad or in a small cup, and put that in the pad. There are many ways to treat bumblefoot. I have always done the surgery if it was needed, and if there was no limping or redness, I would just watch it. Here is a good article on bumblefoot and shows the surgical method:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
she stopped limping completely and has started eating more than when she first arrived but I looked at her leg again and the scab thing looked black? Is this normal or should I be worried? I have been giving her treatment daily since she arrived here (soap water and chlorhexidene) and the Epsom salt arrived today I might continue treatment with that if she needs it.

Back
Top Bottom